Water may be naturally occurring on all rocky planets

News about space exploration and scientific advancements. What do you find interesting?

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
The forum is intended only for space and science information. Discussions about how it applies to Starfire is encouraged - there might be some great ideas we can use!

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Water may be naturally occurring on all rocky planets

Postby southwestforests on Sun 10 Jan 2021 01:49

6 November 2020 Researchers present wild theory: Water may be naturally occurring on all rocky planets
Life is deeply dependent on water, but where does water come from? Based on new research, researchers from the University of Copenhagen believe it may emerge in connection with the formation of planets.

https://healthsciences.ku.dk/newsfacult ... y-planets/

“There are two hypotheses about the emergence of water. One is that it arrives on planets by accident, when asteroids containing water collide with the planet in question,” says Professor Martin Bizzarro from the Centre for Star and Planet Formation at the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen.

Together with Assistant Professor Zhengbin Deng he has headed a new study that turns the theory about the emergence of water upside down.

“The other hypothesis is that water emerges in connection with the formation of the planet. Our study suggests that this hypothesis is correct, and if that is true, it is extremely exciting, because it means that the presence of water is a bioproduct of the planet formation process,” Martin Bizzarro explains.

If Martin Bizzarro and Zhengbin Deng’s theory proves correct, life in planetary systems may have had better chances of developing than previously assumed.

:?: So, how would that change the solar system generation tables?
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Captain
Captain

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Re: Water may be naturally occurring on all rocky planets

Postby Cralis on Sun 10 Jan 2021 14:19

I don't think it would change it at all. The sysgen tables are based on observable planets and known values (like the habitable water zone). It really isn't detailed enough for the minute details on HOW that happens to make a difference.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby southwestforests on Mon 11 Jan 2021 10:55

I was wondering and decided asking would be better than merely continuing to wonder. :D
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Captain
Captain

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Postby Cralis on Thu 14 Jan 2021 01:28

southwestforests wrote:I was wondering and decided asking would be better than merely continuing to wonder. :D

It does make for some interesting thoughts on the details though. I imagine that you'd more likely have water deep under the ground if it's naturally occurring, as opposed to just being on the surface from comets hitting the surface. That and if it's naturally occurring, it's easier to imagine worlds with a lot of water. You'd have to wonder how many millions of comets would have to hit a planet to create the Pacific Ocean...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Space and Science