Quick Start Rules -- Questions and Updates

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Quick Start Rules -- Questions and Updates

Postby nukesnipe on Tue 23 Dec 2014 09:00

This puppy's going to step off the porch and see if he can run with the big dawgs....

Datalinked ships function as a single unit, enabling all of them to fire before any of them receive return fire. Unless I missed something in the QSRs, each weapon on each ship gets its own die roll, just as weapons of a non-datalinked ship would. The real benefit, to me, is that all missiles fired by the datalinked ships count as a single salvo, making it easier to overwhelm the target's point defense.

Headed back to the porch before I get hit by a truck....
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Tue 23 Dec 2014 09:45

mcb1968 wrote:"As per the QSR Advanced, datalink works in pairs (two ships). But yes, as per the first rule, all datalinked units fire together in a single die roll."

So does that mean they fire at one time and roll for each weapon of a type, or roll one die for all weapons firing in an all or nothing roll?

My apologies for being confusing. I've changed it above. What I meant to say is a single roll of dice. Every weapon fires separately. But you roll everything from the two datalinked ships at the same time.

If my 2 DD's are datalinked, and one has 4 R and 2 L, and the other has 4 F and 2 G, I roll one die to determine to hit?

You would roll 4 dice for R, 2 for L, 4 for F, and 2 for G. In the order that you want them to potentially hit.

nukesnipe wrote:Datalinked ships function as a single unit, enabling all of them to fire before any of them receive return fire. Unless I missed something in the QSRs, each weapon on each ship gets its own die roll, just as weapons of a non-datalinked ship would. The real benefit, to me, is that all missiles fired by the datalinked ships count as a single salvo, making it easier to overwhelm the target's point defense.

Your are exactly correct!

There are benefits to all non-missile weapons as well, since damage is done at the moment of firing (meaning you can damage an enemy's weapons with a bigger volley before he can use them on you)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby nukesnipe on Tue 23 Dec 2014 10:51

Cralis wrote:Your are exactly correct!

I knew playing this game for ~35 years would eventually pay off! :lol:
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby TimE on Tue 23 Dec 2014 17:37

one more question in the final quick start rules the warp point assault it says that not all of player B's ships 10 of them can enter on the first turn, but it doesn't say how many can enter or how many turns it will take.

Is it safe to assume two turns for all of them to enter,half on the first and the rest on the second.

thanks again for the answers.
TimE
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby mcb1968 on Tue 23 Dec 2014 17:40

Your are exactly correct!

Of course I am :)
mcb1968
Commander
Commander

Postby nukesnipe on Tue 23 Dec 2014 20:09

TimE wrote:one more question in the final quick start rules the warp point assault it says that not all of player B's ships 10 of them can enter on the first turn, but it doesn't say how many can enter or how many turns it will take.

Is it safe to assume two turns for all of them to enter,half on the first and the rest on the second.

thanks again for the answers.

Normally, one ship may transit the warp point each movement pulse. So, if your ships all have speed 6 you can move six of them through the warp point in one turn: one on the first movement pulse, another on the second, etc.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Wed 24 Dec 2014 02:43

TimE wrote:one more question in the final quick start rules the warp point assault it says that not all of player B's ships 10 of them can enter on the first turn, but it doesn't say how many can enter or how many turns it will take.

If you read the QSR Final rules, Warp Point assaults, it states that one ship can enter on each Movement Pulse. (2nd paragraph, last part of the first sentence)

Then if you remember from the QSR Basic rules, under 2. Movement Phase, it says that there is a movement pulse for every movement point expended. The way this works is that if your fastest ships are speed 6, then there are 6 Movement Pulses. During each pulse ALL ships must expend 1 Movement Point, even if they spend it doing nothing.

Since the fastest ships in the QSR are speed 6, that means that there is a maximum of 6 Movement Pulses, and a maximum of 6 ships can travel through the Warp Point. Keep in mind that it requires a Movement Point to travel through the WP, so for example, the CL has a speed of 4 and it would only be able to enter during Movement Pulses 1, 2, 3, or 4. This is because the CL will have already spent all 4 Movement Points and thus cannot spend a Movement Point to enter the Warp Point during pulses 5 or 6.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby grondak on Sun 30 Jul 2017 17:21

Hi all, I'm new around here.

If the etiquette is "start a new thread" around here, I'll gladly move my discussion elsethread.
I got to play Starfire for the first time in 30 years today. I used the Quick Start Rules available on WargameVault.com (Quick_Start_Rules_(12010867).pdf ) I have the other editions that come with the Ultimate CD download. This message is specifcally about the QSR on wargamevault.com.

I found some minor situations and errors within and wanted to point them out for correction:
[*]We didn't find the Point Defense notes on page 5 until after the game; we found only the rules on pp. 3 & 4. We borrowed the Point Defense rules from "Quick Start Rules Advanced" to solve the D problem. The rules should be consolidated to avoid the issue of "what's an intercept number" that comes from the top of page 4 (or a reference to page 5 could be inserted)

[*]Scenario 1 mentions leaving the map in the last sentence. I noticed that the rules don't specifically mention "the map floats" yet that's the tradition in Starfire. I suppose the map is fixed in these rules (maybe for ease of play). I think the fixed map rule should be mentioned early in the rules.

[*]Scenario 2 mentions DD-size ships in the TOEs but mentions CA-sized ships in the placement rules. I think they should be DD-sized based on the the step-up style of scenarios-as-teaching-tools.

[*]Some of the ships in the Ship Roster on page 7 mention (M1) systems (CA type 2, CA type 4, DD type 2). The version of Quick Start Rules doesn't mention Multiplex Tracking and the rules specifically point out that a unit can target any number of ships out to 10 hexes (page 4). I think the (M1)s could be turned to X systems to keep the ships consistent with the energy beam weapons (making them an H makes the ships more vulnerable), and to avoid mentioning Multiplex Tracking.

AAR on another thread!
edit: mispeelings. Glass house & all.
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby Cralis on Wed 02 Aug 2017 00:16

grondak wrote:Hi all, I'm new around here.

If the etiquette is "start a new thread" around here, I'll gladly move my discussion elsethread.
I got to play Starfire for the first time in 30 years today. I used the Quick Start Rules available on WargameVault.com (Quick_Start_Rules_(12010867).pdf ) I have the other editions that come with the Ultimate CD download. This message is specifcally about the QSR on wargamevault.com.

You can if you want, but I'm good with talking about the QSR here. It is what the topic is about!

I found some minor situations and errors within and wanted to point them out for correction:

[*]We didn't find the Point Defense notes on page 5 until after the game; we found only the rules on pp. 3 & 4. We borrowed the Point Defense rules from "Quick Start Rules Advanced" to solve the D problem. The rules should be consolidated to avoid the issue of "what's an intercept number" that comes from the top of page 4 (or a reference to page 5 could be inserted)

Ahhh I see. We combined all three of the previous QSR rules into a single document. I see what happened here... merging them together we somehow put it in two places. We'll fit it together or something.

[*]Scenario 1 mentions leaving the map in the last sentence. I noticed that the rules don't specifically mention "the map floats" yet that's the tradition in Starfire. I suppose the map is fixed in these rules (maybe for ease of play). I think the fixed map rule should be mentioned early in the rules.

You are correct, and that is a good idea. Fixed maps are far more simple for new players than floating maps.

[*]Scenario 2 mentions DD-size ships in the TOEs but mentions CA-sized ships in the placement rules. I think they should be DD-sized based on the the step-up style of scenarios-as-teaching-tools.

Whoops. Yeah we'll fix that...

[*]Some of the ships in the Ship Roster on page 7 mention (M1) systems (CA type 2, CA type 4, DD type 2). The version of Quick Start Rules doesn't mention Multiplex Tracking and the rules specifically point out that a unit can target any number of ships out to 10 hexes (page 4). I think the (M1)s could be turned to X systems to keep the ships consistent with the energy beam weapons (making them an H makes the ships more vulnerable), and to avoid mentioning Multiplex Tracking.

We are making changes to how we use Multiplex in the latest rules, so we took it out of the QSR to reduce confusion when a new player moves from the QSR to the larger rules. We must have forgotten to remove it from the ship designs.

I like the idea to exchange it with X. It isn't used in a lot of the designs, so that doesn't make X suddenly appear all over. So we'll do that.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby grondak on Sun 06 Aug 2017 14:43

2 more errata:

Page 3 shows a blind spot, but the cut-out blind spot is different. The page 3 blind spot has a slightly different conformation.

Page 3 shows a Weapon Chart, but the cut-out Weapon Chart is different-- the one on page 3 is missing sprint missiles and energy beams.
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

PreviousNext

Return to Solar Starfire