Overcoming starter's block

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Overcoming starter's block

Postby krenshala on Sun 24 Mar 2019 09:12

Yskonyn wrote:I hope it’s ok to use this thread as oposed to starting a new one with basically the same topic!

Anyway I am wondering if I should worry about the time units in the game? For example it is stated that 1 system hex is equal to 12 light minutes and 4 tactical hexes equal 1 light second.
Now, are the LS/LM calculations only used for edge cases?
The game being hex based I assume most gameplay will just be about hex related movement rather than time related movement?
In yet other words: as a beginner do I need to worry about anything other than hexes?

As Whitecold said, most of the time, you are only going to need to know about system hex (sH) and StMP ranges (one StMP is the average distance from the star in one system, out to and through a warppoint, and to the star in the next system). In almost all cases, you can go from any point in on system to any point in the next system over in a single StMP, though binary/trinary systems are a little different. System hexes are useful for communications times (if its 2 sH away, thats 24 light minutes, or 24 minutes for a comms message to arrive).

Of course, if you are like me and prefer the old ISF method you can measure out the actual distances traveled to determine how long it takes for a ship to reach a particular world, or warp point (distance in LM divided by (12 times the ships current speed) equals the number of days to cross that distance). Its a bit of a pain to do the math, however, so I only recommend it if you really don't mind all that extra math. :twisted:

Yskonyn wrote:Second question: is there a quick reference list somewhere listing all abbreviations and their meaning? The rulebook chapter A describes definitions but often times makes you flip pages in order to read up on any ‘linked’ items which have gameplay abbreviations.

Section A of the SSF rulebook has all of the definitions of the abbreviations. If they are not sufficent, then reading the specific rules they are used for is going to be the next best thing to do. And, of course, you can always ask here on the forums as we are always willing to help out.
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 13yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Sun 24 Mar 2019 10:53

krenshala wrote:
Yskonyn wrote:Second question: is there a quick reference list somewhere listing all abbreviations and their meaning? The rulebook chapter A describes definitions but often times makes you flip pages in order to read up on any ‘linked’ items which have gameplay abbreviations.

Section A of the SSF rulebook has all of the definitions of the abbreviations. If they are not sufficent, then reading the specific rules they are used for is going to be the next best thing to do. And, of course, you can always ask here on the forums as we are always willing to help out.

There are also some section-specific definitions at the beginning of some sections, like Section M for example.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Whitecold on Sun 24 Mar 2019 12:39

Also, I know I am weird since I have no issues whatsoever reading rules front to back and actually remembering what is going on. Another option is to read Setting up a Player Empire, and look up whatever you don't understand there.
Many sections are not directly relevant for just playing the strategic part in a campaign.
You want to know how to:
-Design large units
-Construct large units
-Survey stuff (note the detailed survey stuff is not relevant unless your ships get attacked)
-Colonize planets

Stuff like diplomacy you can read up when you actually meet aliens.
Whitecold
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Yskonyn on Mon 25 Mar 2019 13:44

Thanks for the advice.
I am not afraid of complex games; I play Advanced Squad Leader and MBT, so I am sure if I can dedicate enough time to StarFire I'll be fine. Getting the time in is what's the challenge.

I'll be diving back into the rulebook now. Expect more questions soon. :)
Yskonyn
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby coldsteel on Mon 25 Mar 2019 13:45

Yskonyn wrote:Thanks for the advice.
I am not afraid of complex games; I play Advanced Squad Leader and MBT, so I am sure if I can dedicate enough time to StarFire I'll be fine. Getting the time in is what's the challenge.

I'll be diving back into the rulebook now. Expect more questions soon. :)

Good. Welcome to the fold!. And remember, only stupid question's the one you don't ask.
TFN: 1 BB, 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 11 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Commander
Commander

Previous

Return to Solar Starfire