Starting War Fleet Advice Wanted

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Starting War Fleet Advice Wanted

Postby SCC on Tue 05 Feb 2019 03:20

So I've wrung my Survey Fund for all it's worth, getting quite a lot out of it, to wit:

5 of these:
Sling-Class Missile Destroyer 30HS/21TS
[4] Sx4 Ax4 Xa (Ic3) Qa Ya (Ic3) Rax3 (Ic3) Qa [3]
Trg: 1 Cost: 343/51.5 HTK: 18 Sx4, Ax4, Rax3

45 of these:
Trailblazer-Class Survey Ship 13HS/9TS
[2] S Ax3 H Xa La (Ica) Qa [3]
Trg: 1 Cost: 134.1/20.2 HTK: 9 S Ax3 La

And finally 3 of these:
Hive-Class Planetary Survey Ship 12HS/10TS
[2] {(Bsa)x8} Xa Qa (Ica) [3]
Cost: 194.2/29.2 HTK: 11

So it's time to turn my attention to my nations battle-line, expect the thing is I already seem to have a pretty good battle-line in my survey forces, do people think I should build a large number of additional ships or should I invest in fixed defenses?

As a side question, I get a free shipyard SS with 10 SY in it, do I get anything other then the HS the SY are mounted in for free, like the mandatory Qa the SS must mount?
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Starting War Fleet Advice Wanted

Postby coldsteel on Tue 05 Feb 2019 14:46

8300+ MC for a Survey Fleet? I thought the max was 5K?

As for additional ships, you want a proper battleline, because those survey ships will be out surveying, and would only be fighting the occasional NPR first contact.
TFN: 1 BB, 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 11 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Tue 05 Feb 2019 16:54

You can buy another 11 or 12 survey ships for the cost of those warships...

But coldsteel is right. Unless you're doing some house rules, K2.05 limits the Survey Fund to 5000 MCr.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby SCC on Tue 05 Feb 2019 21:47

Cralis wrote:You can buy another 11 or 12 survey ships for the cost of those warships...

Well apart from the cap on 60 ships built from the survey fund, yeah. And as 50 is the last good break point for survey group size before 67. (Note that 50 is the number of ships I've built for WP hunting)

Cralis wrote:But coldsteel is right. Unless you're doing some house rules, K2.05 limits the Survey Fund to 5000 MCr.

This is the game where I got a NPR in my home system and amalgamated them before the game started, raises starting population by 66%, so I raised the funds by the same amount.
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Wed 06 Feb 2019 00:28

SCC wrote:
Cralis wrote:You can buy another 11 or 12 survey ships for the cost of those warships...

Well apart from the cap on 60 ships built from the survey fund, yeah. And as 50 is the last good break point for survey group size before 67. (Note that 50 is the number of ships I've built for WP hunting)

Ah, good point. Now that you mention it, I think Marvin originally put that limit in place to prevent exactly what you are describing on turn 1.

Cralis wrote:But coldsteel is right. Unless you're doing some house rules, K2.05 limits the Survey Fund to 5000 MCr.

This is the game where I got a NPR in my home system and amalgamated them before the game started, raises starting population by 66%, so I raised the funds by the same amount.

Interesting! I thought the starting system rules in K2.01 specified that there are no NPRs in the home system or adjacent systems, but I'm not seeing that rule in there. Either way, I'm a big fan of customized campaigns with cool ideas, and this is a cool idea. :)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby SCC on Wed 06 Feb 2019 00:54

Cralis wrote:
SCC wrote:

Interesting! I thought the starting system rules in K2.01 specified that there are no NPRs in the home system or adjacent systems, but I'm not seeing that rule in there. Either way, I'm a big fan of customized campaigns with cool ideas, and this is a cool idea. :)

Actually I thought there was a rule covering this (technically at least the limit on the number of habitables should count) but as this is a solo game I don't think it matters.

I've also noticed that the design Trailblazer is one HS too big, so a redesign will be issued soon (with new numbers of ships)
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Wed 06 Feb 2019 01:33

You could just make it an undersized CT. Although personally I’d just take off an A. I’m a big fan (aka economist) in minimal explorer designs and usually use EX. But an ES with a few defenses makes more sense for imitating reality, as you don’t know what you might encounter!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby SCC on Wed 06 Feb 2019 02:31

Cralis wrote:You could just make it an undersized CT.

Couldn't buy as many then.
Cralis wrote:Although personally I’d just take off an A.

That's what I'm planing on doing, but only after I played around with it some more to allow room for 'potential' future upgrades, which leads to a big question:
If I'm expanding an engine room by adding a half engine, in this case going from (Ica) to (ica Ica) do I only need to refit to HS taken up by the new engine or the entire engine room?

Cralis wrote:I’m a big fan (aka economist) in minimal explorer designs and usually use EX. But an ES with a few defenses makes more sense for imitating reality, as you don’t know what you might encounter!

Have trouble using up all my Survey fund then, also couldn't use my scouts a WP assault units in a pinch, but for later it's a good idea.
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Lomn on Wed 06 Feb 2019 11:04

SCC wrote:As a side question, I get a free shipyard SS with 10 SY in it, do I get anything other then the HS the SY are mounted in for free, like the mandatory Qa the SS must mount?

My understanding is that, as of Solar, there are no mandatory systems in the shipyard SS. (SY)x10 is fully self-contained and self-sustaining (inherent Q, and Solar drops the requirement for mandatory H). So, no, you don't get anything else -- but you don't absolutely need anything else.
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Wed 06 Feb 2019 16:35

In version 6.02 the SS still requires a minimum of 1 Q system (for command & control), even though the SY itself does not require any additional life support or crew quarters. In the next version we are going to remove that requirement for any SS that contains only SY.

You might as well start using that now.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Next

Return to Solar Starfire