Surveying And Switching Movement Speeds

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Surveying And Switching Movement Speeds

Postby SCC on Sat 09 Feb 2019 04:31

Very weird edge case but I was running some thought through my mind due to the increase in MSS between Xa and Xb and while it doesn't look like it at first there's actually good reason to give your Xa survey ships a StMP of four and it's BAD.

OK, moving at 4 MP your pules are 1, 2, 4, and 5, while the pulses for 3 MP are 1, 3 and 5, so I can have a survey ship move at speed 4 for the first two pulses and then drop down to speed 3 so that it can start surveying, and it still have two movement pulses left for surveying!
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Surveying And Switching Movement Speeds

Postby Cralis on Sat 09 Feb 2019 12:09

I don’t have the rules here (not at home) but I recall that pulsed movement is for tactical combat only.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby SCC on Sat 09 Feb 2019 13:01

Cralis wrote:I don’t have the rules here (not at home) but I recall that pulsed movement is for tactical combat only.

It's mandatory for System and Strategic Movement, Optional for Tactical
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Lomn on Sat 09 Feb 2019 19:44

SCC wrote:OK, moving at 4 MP your pules are 1, 2, 4, and 5, while the pulses for 3 MP are 1, 3 and 5, so I can have a survey ship move at speed 4 for the first two pulses and then drop down to speed 3 so that it can start surveying, and it still have two movement pulses left for surveying!
*dons SM hat*

I wouldn't allow it. Surveying speed is one of the things where I adapt time strongly, and 15 days cruising (2 StMP at Speed 4) plus 20 days surveying (2 StMP at Speed 3) doesn't fit into a 30-day month.

Sticking to the pulsed movement chart, speed 1 gives what I think is the best reason to avoid mixing time-driven actions too strongly with pulses. Speed 1 happens in pulse 3, which means plenty more time is available after. Would we say that a speed-4 Xp-equipped (MSS 1) ship could survey a planet (pulse 3) and then move 2 (pulses 4,5)? That it could move 2 (pulses 1,2) and then survey (pulse 3)? That it could do those movements both before any after? That a ship that spends the whole month surveying at the planet gains no benefit over the one constantly shuttling back and forth?

Nope. I go with "you have to have enough time in the month", independent of what the pulses say.
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sun 10 Feb 2019 18:17

MSS = 3 is not just about speed. It's also a measure of TIME. 30 days / 3 StMP = 10 days per StMP. So with Xa you gain 1 SP per 10 days of time spent at speed 3. So with Xa, it takes 10 days to generate 1 SP as long as you are only moving speed 3 or less. (Please note that this is also a measure of SPACE. You don't generate 3 SP at speed 1 because you aren't moving far enough at the slower speed to map the same amount of SPACE.)

So let's look at how the math for your movement actually works out. 30 days / 4 StMP = 7.5 days per StMP. Since you move 2 StMP out of the 4 possible StMP, you have used 15 days worth of time. Now you reduce your speed to 3, and you have 15 days remaining in the month. 30 days / 3 = 10 days per StMP. So you spent 10 days moving at speed 3 and generate 1 SP. Now due to the nature of the pulsed movement system, you move 5 more days for 1 more StMP. But as an SM, I would rule that you do not generate any additional SP.

In fact, I think this is the most elegant way to solve the issue and will discuss adding it to the rules for any corner cases like this.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby krenshala on Tue 12 Feb 2019 18:33

I tend to track the starting/ending dates (ISF style), so I'd let those last 5 days of surveying generate SP, but not until day 10 of the following month. ;)
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 13yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Solar Starfire