Printing out a physical copy of Solar Starfire

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Printing out a physical copy of Solar Starfire

Postby Khurgen on Fri 15 Feb 2019 22:28

I'm 46 and between being really near sighted, and unable to mentally digest ebooks (I can stare at the read from my iPad but not much of it "sticks") so I went ahead and splashed out on a new HUGE printer (Epson WF-7720 that's capable of printing 11" x 19" pages) and printed out a copy of the rules (all 429 pages!) and it really did crush the stock print cartridges that came with the printer. I printed the rules in color and as many of the headers are the color red, my magenta cartridge was only left with about 20% ink by the end of it.

I was thinking about printing onto 3 hole punched paper, but as I'll be using the rules alot in the near future I wanted to make them a little more resilient so I put them in 2mm sheet protectors with single sided 20 lb. paper. Everything fits pretty comfortably in a 4" binder. With the paper ($4), sheet protectors ($20) and the binder ($18), plus the ink ($36...although it did come with the printer...which was a lot)...it was pretty darn expensive, but really worth it for me as I can not only have a physical copy to reference, but I now have a copy that I can actually read.

I'd post pictures, but I don't have any place to store my pictures so I can link them, although I'm sure I can scare up something if anyone is interested. As it stands I hope to get a solo game started or if I'm lucky I'm going to get a tactical match setup to show my 17 year old son...hope springs eternal.

Khurgen
Khurgen
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Re: Printing out a physical copy of Solar Starfire

Postby Cralis on Sat 16 Feb 2019 23:21

Khurgen wrote:I'm 46 and between being really near sighted, and unable to mentally digest ebooks (I can stare at the read from my iPad but not much of it "sticks") so I went ahead and splashed out on a new HUGE printer (Epson WF-7720 that's capable of printing 11" x 19" pages) and printed out a copy of the rules (all 429 pages!) and it really did crush the stock print cartridges that came with the printer. I printed the rules in color and as many of the headers are the color red, my magenta cartridge was only left with about 20% ink by the end of it.

I was thinking about printing onto 3 hole punched paper, but as I'll be using the rules alot in the near future I wanted to make them a little more resilient so I put them in 2mm sheet protectors with single sided 20 lb. paper. Everything fits pretty comfortably in a 4" binder. With the paper ($4), sheet protectors ($20) and the binder ($18), plus the ink ($36...although it did come with the printer...which was a lot)...it was pretty darn expensive, but really worth it for me as I can not only have a physical copy to reference, but I now have a copy that I can actually read.

I'm right there with you, and I've printed every version of the rules since Ultra Starfire first came out. It does cost a few bucks, but it's worth it (in my opinion). I did, however, use a three-hole punch to punch holes so I could put them in a three-ring binder. That way I could print individual pages as replacements if they got damaged or something.

I did not, however, think of the sheet protectors and that would have been nice because you can write on those with wet-erase markers to make notes and/or highlight rules!

I'd post pictures, but I don't have any place to store my pictures so I can link them, although I'm sure I can scare up something if anyone is interested. As it stands I hope to get a solo game started or if I'm lucky I'm going to get a tactical match setup to show my 17 year old son...hope springs eternal.

If you send a few pictures to cralis@starfiredesign.com I'd be more than happy to put them on our Facebook page. I'm sure there are others like me who would appreciate the work you put into it!

I'm trying to get my 16 year old daughter interested in playing. She has toyed with the tactical rules a little bit, and she's promising to play me in a game with our miniatures, but she's sure not in a hurry. I have two younger kids, the youngest is a little too young but I'm hopeful because she loves to play games.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Fangsimon on Sat 23 Feb 2019 15:52

Khurgen wrote:I'm 46 and between being really near sighted, and unable to mentally digest ebooks (I can stare at the read from my iPad but not much of it "sticks") so I went ahead and splashed out on a new HUGE printer (Epson WF-7720 that's capable of printing 11" x 19" pages) and printed out a copy of the rules (all 429 pages!) and it really did crush the stock print cartridges that came with the printer. I printed the rules in color and as many of the headers are the color red, my magenta cartridge was only left with about 20% ink by the end of it.m

Khurgen

I printed sections A-H and AA and EE. I'd love to see pics of yours on FB!
Fangsimon
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby coldsteel on Fri 09 Aug 2019 13:41

Khurgen wrote:As it stands I hope to get a solo game started or if I'm lucky I'm going to get a tactical match setup to show my 17 year old son...hope springs eternal.

Khurgen

Don't overwhelm him at the start. Use the Quick-Start rules to get his feet wet.
TFN: 1 BB, 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 11 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Commander
Commander

Return to Solar Starfire