Germ Of An Idea For Gunboat Design

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Germ Of An Idea For Gunboat Design

Postby SCC on Sun 17 Feb 2019 02:59

So I know there's a bit of interest in designing customs Gunboats and while reading some of the Damon Bradley SM's (Is anything in those things canon?) I had idea: Something has to be 5 HS or bigger to transit a WP so simply design 5 HS ships,say that there Gunboats and divide their cost by 10 along with performing some other slight adjustments and you can now design your own Gunboat and equip them with pretty much anything you want. Bring back D for Gunboats, op give them DFS or Ic for long range patrols

Slight problem with looking into things deeper: SRW are huge! You'd need 10 or 14 HS to fit everything in.

So that's a baseline to work from, any one want to contribute?
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Germ Of An Idea For Gunboat Design

Postby Cralis on Sun 17 Feb 2019 17:41

SCC wrote:So I know there's a bit of interest in designing customs Gunboats and while reading some of the Damon Bradley SM's (Is anything in those things canon?) I had idea: Something has to be 5 HS or bigger to transit a WP so simply design 5 HS ships,say that there Gunboats and divide their cost by 10 along with performing some other slight adjustments and you can now design your own Gunboat and equip them with pretty much anything you want. Bring back D for Gunboats, op give them DFS or Ic for long range patrols

5 HS is only an early EL limit. GB are smaller than 5 HS or else four of them wouldn’t fit in Bg

Slight problem with looking into things deeper: SRW are huge! You'd need 10 or 14 HS to fit everything in.

So that's a baseline to work from, any one want to contribute?

I recommend you take a look at the following topics in the house rule section:

Whitecold’s Smcft Construction Rules
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3106&start=0

Procyon’s Smcft Construction Rules
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3147&start=0

They are both working on doing something like what you are suggesting instead of going in the sane direction as the SDS with smcft.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Whitecold on Wed 06 Mar 2019 13:45

Actually I am pretty okay some of SDS approach in principle, at least when it comes to having fixed designs. What really caused me to consider an alternative system was the inconsistencies between AP and Smcft, and of course BASV

The fundamental size of SRW are one of the inconsistencies that buggers me. Why can't I mount a lot of those beams on my ships.
Also, be wary of cost reductions. 20% is already a significant discount. 90% means they are essentially free, a 10 to 1 numerical superiority will kill almost anything, unless the enemy both outspeeds and outranges you.
Whitecold
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Wed 06 Mar 2019 15:42

Whitecold wrote:Actually I am pretty okay some of SDS approach in principle, at least when it comes to having fixed designs. What really caused me to consider an alternative system was the inconsistencies between AP and Smcft, and of course BASV

And that is a big part of why we are making changes to that part of the rules. The next version will contain the guided munition anti-squadron changes to range plus an obvious difference between the damage a ship-sized weapon and small weapons do to squadrons. We are also changing how we do squadron weapon ranges so they are no longer all identical. AP are going to return to having limitations on their weapon ranges. Plus.. oh I can’t give the surprise change away ;)

And in the next version - so we will have time to do it right and full test it - we are going to introduce a simplified BASV system that I’m hoping will fix all or most of the issues. Along with that you’ll likely see the new squadron variations.

We have some lofty goals when it comes to squadrons...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Whitecold on Wed 06 Mar 2019 18:36

Well, my dream is for an unified smallcraft system that handles both manned and unmanned platforms, expendable and reusable systems.

I am very much looking forward to the new release. Then again, it should have come out next year when I joined the forum ;)
Whitecold
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Wed 06 Mar 2019 23:35

Whitecold wrote:Well, my dream is for an unified smallcraft system that handles both manned and unmanned platforms, expendable and reusable systems.

I know, and I'm not saying that you have a bad idea. It's just not the vision for SSF.

I am very much looking forward to the new release. Then again, it should have come out next year when I joined the forum ;)

Do you mean last year? I agree. Sadly, the universe doesn't seem to agree with us yet.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Solar Starfire