Campaign for Writers

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Campaign for Writers

Postby Starfire on Sun 10 Mar 2019 20:55

Editorial Note: If you plan to respond to this, please do it by number or a SMALL quoted section. Do not quote the whole thing!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now that I am retired, I have been toying recently with the idea of running a Solar Starfire campaign.

This campaign would be particularly unique in a number of ways.

1) I would be looking specifically for Storytellers, writers, and those willing to detail their trek through the galaxy to glory (of course, you might also be writing your obituary). Probably 5 or 6 players maximum.

2) The Spacemaster will CHEAT (and even lie!) While it might not be terribly obvious, at the time, to the players as to whether the Spacemaster cheated on a roll or just let a roll stand, the cheating will have a purpose. In particular, if I read a particularly good story line, I might reward that storyline with some ""random"" event that is based on the storyline (we might end up adding to the random event table IMAO). Of course, there is no guarantee that the ""random"" event will be a positive one....

3) The players, through hook or crook, will -for the most part- be kept in a relatively even status, power-wise. Thus, the tension/danger that players will feel, could be more extreme than normal. Someone gets lucky on an early NPR draw....well, little bonuses might start happening to the other players to keep them up to speed. I do NOT intend to directly harm (or single out) a particular player for "getting lucky", because I think that is a bunch of crap. However, an especially lucky player may receive a small hidden negative CEM while other players recieve a large positive CEM until things stabilize.

4) Most optional rules will be in effect. In particular, Admirals, Generals, and Governors (we might avoid diplomats unless I see a really good storyline around one).

5) Players will be able to use NPR government types and/or Unusual Life Forms (and potentially unusual home systems!). I.e. You build the idea/concept for your race, and I will let you know if it will work in the campaign. Obviously, I prefer to only have 1 of each type of usual life form in the galaxy, and thus, I will choose the one I think I will have the most fun dealing with. Obviously, you can submit multiple "Proposed Races", and once the basic concept is approved for play, flesh out the background detail.
One fun home system I have thought about is on a HGT in a nebula. What are your ideas.

6) There will be terrible superpowers in the game that will have significantly more firepower than an individual player but will also have weakness (if you can figure the weaknesses out).

7) I may trial run some rules (particularly espionage). Though this will be very unique in that you will have almost no ability to control the information that you give away or get. Yes, that sounds weird, but you'll have to play to figure it out because I do not want to take all the fun out of it.

8) Battles -- Early battles might be played out but later ones will likely not (unless I have a non-playing group who is interested in running some battles). I will have to figure out a method to do this with something near the same results.

9) Turtles -- If you are planning to turtle without a really good reason, this will not be the campaign for you. Aggressive behavior may be rewarded.

10) I am currently planning for players to start at a base HEL of 3 (potentially you could trade HEL levels for other unique bonuses or income or SLs). Matt and I will have to judge whether the trade offs are fair to the other players or not.

I can hear the conversation now.
"I want to start at HEL 4 with no other reductions."
"Ok"
{behind the scenes} -- Matt - "He should start with a CEM of negative 1000".
"Wow, that is going to be one really unlucky race" :twisted:

11) Honestly, if I hear a really good idea that is not unbalanced, I just might approve it. You never know.

12) It is also possible that the campaign will be used as a test bed for some new rules. Just want to throw that out in case it does happen.

--------------------------------

Timing
Start - likely the start would be months down the road (once I have both a system generation tool and an NPR creation tool). Presently working on both.

Early game would likely be once a week until I start having to play multiple battles with turns due Sunday Night (unless the group chooses something else). After that, we will move to 2 or 3 weeks between turns, unless crazy things happens and people want to go faster. Vacations and such will be handled by the central planning committee (unless something terribly critical is happening to that race). Remember, if you are not available, those graded governors, admirals, and generals will be making decisions for you --- I hope you hired good people :twisted:

Are there people interested in doing this?

Ideas for races can be discussed here or you can submit them in secret (just PM me).
Nerf Rock, Paper is fine. Signed: Scissors.
Nerf Scissors, Rock is fine. Signed: Paper.
Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine. Signed: Rock.
Starfire
Marvin Lamb
Marvin Lamb

Re: Campaign for Writers

Postby coldsteel on Mon 11 Mar 2019 13:26

In. Just have to get me a copy of Solar in a couple weeks... (Was already planned...)
TFN: 1 BB, 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 11 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Commander
Commander

Postby nukesnipe on Mon 11 Mar 2019 15:26

I'm interested. However, I will need a bit more information on the time commitment involved. I work 4/10s with periodic stints of 6/12s.

I must admit, I am more familiar with Ultra than Solar.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Starfire on Mon 11 Mar 2019 20:14

I am assuming that you do have the occasional day off. ;)

I think we could work around 1 unusual schedule. I am hoping that most of the grunt work can be done with spreadsheets. Once we get into the 2 weeks per turn, I do not think your schedule should be too much of an issue.

As for time commitment, that usually ends up being up to the player. Certainly most turns could be done in a couple of hours (once you know what your doing) with the occasional extra time for things like ship design, and such. It has been a long time since I played in a campaign but I never remember individual turns taking all that long. It was the Spacemaster trying to run dozens of NPRs that was the real time hog. And as you will not have to deal with any battles (other than standard issue battle orders and general tactics (i.e. do not charge they enemy when you have mostly long range weapons)).

This time around, I think I want to go with a spreadsheet that has every detail of a race on it. There would be a planning page, a next month spreading page, general orders page, and a specific orders page. I am not exactly sure how that would all work. But basically you spend for R&D, ships, facilities, and economic growth (IUs, moving pops, etc). The basics of a turn are not really all that difficult since they effectively revolve around spending your income, exploring the galaxy, positioning your warships. Things get "tense" every now and again with wars but most are brief with the player overwhelming the enemy (hopefully without too many losses).

PS: While there are differences between Ultra and Solar, the same basics are present. Especially since you will not be fighting any battles (unless you really want too).

IF I remember right, the first couple of turns tended to take longer than expected as players get into the flow of things.
Starfire
Marvin Lamb
Marvin Lamb

Postby Whitecold on Tue 12 Mar 2019 00:23

I don't know which Spreadsheet is planned on being used, but the newest Solar sheets floating around here do most of the turn-to-turn bookkeeping by themselves. It makes it a lot less likely to loose colonists or accidentally double them.

I am currently torn if I have time to join, and of course I don't have a species concept so far.
Whitecold
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Starfire on Tue 12 Mar 2019 08:37

Whitecold wrote:I don't know which Spreadsheet is planned on being used, but the newest Solar sheets floating around here do most of the turn-to-turn bookkeeping by themselves. It makes it a lot less likely to loose colonists or accidentally double them.

I am currently torn if I have time to join, and of course I don't have a species concept so far.

There is time!

Are you talking about Veers sheets?
Starfire
Marvin Lamb
Marvin Lamb

Postby nukesnipe on Tue 12 Mar 2019 09:06

Marvin,

Sounds do-able. I was concerned there would be turns every other day, which would be problematic when I'm working 6/12s. Fortunately, I should only have to worry about that this May and next spring.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Starfire on Tue 12 Mar 2019 09:37

Early on, it will be get turns done as quickly as YOUR TIME allows. Processing will be done on the same basis. Early turns often go quite quickly so it makes some sense to go a bit faster. But I will not force anyone to do turns quickly.

Honestly, once I see a few turns from everyone, it would not be hard for me to do a turn for you (that stupid governor did WHAT?)
Starfire
Marvin Lamb
Marvin Lamb

Postby Whitecold on Tue 12 Mar 2019 12:20

Starfire wrote:
Whitecold wrote:I don't know which Spreadsheet is planned on being used, but the newest Solar sheets floating around here do most of the turn-to-turn bookkeeping by themselves. It makes it a lot less likely to loose colonists or accidentally double them.

There is time!

Are you talking about Veers sheets?

Yes. Though Lomn added some of the macro functionality if I remember right, and I messed around with the macros myself at some point, so I don't know who exactly has which version of the sheet.

Question: If/When the new version of Solar is released, would the campaign be updated, or what rules does it run on? There have been promises of changes to ground troops (where I frankly don't comprehend the rules in detail) as well as smallcraft.
Whitecold
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Tue 12 Mar 2019 15:27

FYI the Section V rewrite will go in the NEXT version of SSF after the currently pending update. We don’t have enough time to properly update and test it for the pending update.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Next

Return to Solar Starfire