Miniature movement rules

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Miniature movement rules

Postby Whitecold on Tue 19 Mar 2019 16:39

I have been pondering this issue for a while now, and I have not found much for the peculiar restrictions on Starfire movement rules, in particular the miniature movement rules.
What shape does a minimum time course has to a specific position and heading. Getting to a position that is far away is easy enough by simply turning till you face it, and then going full speed ahead, but for close quarter that algorithm fails rather badly.

I would be very interested to hear anyone's thoughts on this.
Whitecold
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Miniature movement rules

Postby Cralis on Tue 19 Mar 2019 17:09

Using the miniature rules, did you realize that you don’t have to move the full distance for each MP? You can move any amount up to the maximum distance each MP.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Whitecold on Tue 19 Mar 2019 17:15

Cralis wrote:Using the miniature rules, did you realize that you don’t have to move the full distance for each MP? You can move any amount up to the maximum distance each MP.

Yes, that is what makes it tricky. What is exactly the optimal distance to move? The heading change is obvious, assuming you only have a fixed final position. If you want to have a specific heading and position as target, it gets even more trickier.
Whitecold
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby southwestforests on Tue 19 Mar 2019 23:21

Whitecold wrote:
Cralis wrote:Using the miniature rules, did you realize that you don’t have to move the full distance for each MP? You can move any amount up to the maximum distance each MP.

Yes, that is what makes it tricky. What is exactly the optimal distance to move? ...
Brings to mind a couple decades ago when my brother and I introduced his videogame addict boys to miniatures games, imagine our smiles when about halfway through the game one of them wiped his brow and said, "Whew, you sure have to think when you are doing this."

The boys are adults now and are successful in the Army, apparently we did something right.
(sorry, the game wasn't Starfire, it was a WW2 game)
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Captain
Captain

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Postby Cralis on Tue 19 Mar 2019 23:36

Whitecold wrote:

Yes, that is what makes it tricky. What is exactly the optimal distance to move? The heading change is obvious, assuming you only have a fixed final position. If you want to have a specific heading and position as target, it gets even more trickier.

Optimal distance? It would be situation dependent. When I play with the miniature rules, I don't move full moves in order to keep ships in formation, for example. Without a lot of variables that is impossible to answer.

The big thing to remember is this: in the hex board version, you can only turn in 60-degree increments and move in one-hex distances at a time. All movement tends to be in specific angles and straight lines. In the miniature version ships will have to plan ahead and make turns every movement in order to make an equivalent movement. So ships will tend to not move in straight lines when they need to maneuver. It makes it necessary have a plan for where you need to go.

Once you get past that difference, it becomes a lot more clear.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Whitecold on Thu 21 Mar 2019 12:36

Cralis wrote:Optimal distance? It would be situation dependent. When I play with the miniature rules, I don't move full moves in order to keep ships in formation, for example. Without a lot of variables that is impossible to answer.

The big thing to remember is this: in the hex board version, you can only turn in 60-degree increments and move in one-hex distances at a time. All movement tends to be in specific angles and straight lines. In the miniature version ships will have to plan ahead and make turns every movement in order to make an equivalent movement. So ships will tend to not move in straight lines when they need to maneuver. It makes it necessary have a plan for where you need to go.

Once you get past that difference, it becomes a lot more clear.

The situation I am looking at for now is purely shortest time to target. In case it was not clear enough, I am looking for algorithms, on how to map or approximate it with a mathematical curve.
Whitecold
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby coldsteel on Thu 21 Mar 2019 13:25

Speaking of movement, I noticed there's a 1" mark on the turn key... Huzzah!

Has the PDF for the QSR been updated too?
TFN: 1 BB, 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 11 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Thu 21 Mar 2019 18:26

coldsteel wrote:Speaking of movement, I noticed there's a 1" mark on the turn key... Huzzah!

It’s been updated several times. What are looking for?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby coldsteel on Fri 22 Mar 2019 14:01

Cralis wrote:
coldsteel wrote:Speaking of movement, I noticed there's a 1" mark on the turn key... Huzzah!

It’s been updated several times. What are looking for?

The 1" mark on the turnkey like the 3D print has... :)
TFN: 1 BB, 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 11 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Fri 22 Mar 2019 17:37

Edit: Ah... I didn’t think about adding that to the rules (more specifically, the cutouts). It does make sense... :oops:

Nevermind. The last update Daz made includes it.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Next

Return to Solar Starfire