Politics Questions

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Politics Questions

Postby SCC on Wed 14 Aug 2019 01:37

First up is non-Section T question: The first paragraph in in S5.02 uses the word empire, while the second uses the word race, would I be correct in assuming that this second one is a typo and the word empire should be used instead?

Are Political Offers resolved simultaneously or sequentially? I ask because in my Mardukan Rebellion game it's theoretically possible to get a Full Communication Established result in the first turn (very long odds, something like 8 in 10,000) with one of the NPR's in your starting system you might get a Linguist Diplomat, which makes all the other's easier. Heck it still applies later on, signing one treaty could increase the chances of you getting another.

How do I modify Table T2.03.2 for extremely disastrous results, like losing your entire warfleet in a single attack (This entire 'fleet' would be a single FT loaded with Qt and Hv, but still)

On Table T2.03.2,there's an entry of "+10 Applies to all political acceptance rolls." Should this be ignored?

Table T3.02.2 appears to be a copy of Table T2.03.2, should there be something else there?
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Politics Questions

Postby Cralis on Wed 14 Aug 2019 20:24

SCC wrote:First up is non-Section T question: The first paragraph in in S5.02 uses the word empire, while the second uses the word race, would I be correct in assuming that this second one is a typo and the word empire should be used instead?

That's our fault. Over the years different parts of the rules used "race" and "empire" interchangeably. One of the things that we are going to do for the following version during the proofing stage is to try and fix this issue.

Here is the guideline we are going to use:

Empire: Use the word "empire" when referring to a player or NPR controlling it's assets in the game. So the empire issues orders to fleets, the empire collects income and makes expenditures, etc. So basically, the "government" level.

Race: Use the word "race" when talking about the PU from a specific homeworld. Race will determine racial type, HI, racial stats, racial abilities, etc.

So you can have an empire of races (through amalgamation), and the same race could be in multiple empires (civil war, conquered worlds, etc.).

Are Political Offers resolved simultaneously or sequentially? I ask because in my Mardukan Rebellion game it's theoretically possible to get a Full Communication Established result in the first turn (very long odds, something like 8 in 10,000) with one of the NPR's in your starting system you might get a Linguist Diplomat, which makes all the other's easier. Heck it still applies later on, signing one treaty could increase the chances of you getting another.

T2 states that a race (arg! should be an empire!) can only make 1 political offer per month to another race (empire!). So there is no "sequence" other than if multiple empires make offers to one particular empire.

How do I modify Table T2.03.2 for extremely disastrous results, like losing your entire warfleet in a single attack (This entire 'fleet' would be a single FT loaded with Qt and Hv, but still)

On Table T2.03.2,there's an entry of "+10 Applies to all political acceptance rolls." Should this be ignored?

This table was a mistake and doesn't actually exist. When creating the last version we had to completely remake the PDF document to update the file format. This resulted in a few tables and other non-text objects getting duplicated without headers and we had to go through and remove them. Unfortunately, it looks like in the case of Table T2.03.2 we mistakenly thought it was supposed to be there.

Table T3.02.2 appears to be a copy of Table T2.03.2, should there be something else there?

T3.02.2 is the correct table. Table T2.03.2 should be ignored, it will be removed in the next version.

If you look over at the errata, you'll see this is noted in the errata for v6.02: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1528&p=25301#p25301
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby SCC on Thu 15 Aug 2019 03:50

Cralis wrote:

T2 states that a race (arg! should be an empire!) can only make 1 political offer per month to another race (empire!). So there is no "sequence" other than if multiple empires make offers to one particular empire.

Cool, does that apply to First Contact results as well? I ask because it's not really a political offer and is in section T1.

This adds a slight wrinkle to my idea of Multi-Lateral treaties but that's a topic for that thread

Cralis wrote:

This table was a mistake and doesn't actually exist. When creating the last version we had to completely remake the PDF document to update the file format. This resulted in a few tables and other non-text objects getting duplicated without headers and we had to go through and remove them. Unfortunately, it looks like in the case of Table T2.03.2 we mistakenly thought it was supposed to be there.

T3.02.2 is the correct table. Table T2.03.2 should be ignored, it will be removed in the next version.

If you look over at the errata, you'll see this is noted in the errata for v6.02: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1528&p=25301#p25301

This only answers one of my questions, the ones about extreme loses and this mystery +10 are still valid.
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 15 Aug 2019 10:06

SCC wrote:
Cralis wrote:T2 states that a race (arg! should be an empire!) can only make 1 political offer per month to another race (empire!). So there is no "sequence" other than if multiple empires make offers to one particular empire.

Cool, does that apply to First Contact results as well? I ask because it's not really a political offer and is in section T1.

First Contact is a process, not an offer.

This only answers one of my questions, the ones about extreme loses and this mystery +10 are still valid.

Oh! I wrote and must have deleted when I rewrote my post that Table T3.02.2 should be Table T3.02.1 and applies to intermediary negotiations. That modifier applies to Political Acceptance Rolls for offers made through the intermediary. This is primarily because of T3.02.1.7, as a balance against a player race trying to be an intermediary to make every NPR peaceful with the NPRs that he is friendly with.

As for "extreme losses", the modifiers allowed are in the table. It's too difficult to get much more precise because it's far too easy to manipulate the system. As your comment already indicated. However, you can always SM-rule in a modifier if you want. Maybe a -20 RC modifier if you have no remaining war fleet?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Solar Starfire