More Survey Grade Questions

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

More Survey Grade Questions

Postby SCC on Thu 27 Aug 2020 04:34

So Cralis previously confirmed my suspicion that if you're using the Survey Grade rules you're ships start at SG-2 and then work their way up, well now I've got two more questions:

1. What is required to advance to SG? SG-2 advancement sounds like life doing a planetary survey is enough, but SG-1 is worded in such a way to suggest that performing a WP survey is enough to catapult them all the way to SG.

2. Does the SG bonus to survey points bypass the 75 SP per StMP rule? If so does this mean I can complete survey's in less then 3 StMP?
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: More Survey Grade Questions

Postby Cralis on Sun 30 Aug 2020 15:20

SCC wrote:So Cralis previously confirmed my suspicion that if you're using the Survey Grade rules you're ships start at SG-2 and then work their way up, well now I've got two more questions:

1. What is required to advance to SG? SG-2 advancement sounds like life doing a planetary survey is enough, but SG-1 is worded in such a way to suggest that performing a WP survey is enough to catapult them all the way to SG.

The wording is quite clear. To advanced to SG-1, the survey crew must partcipate in a survey. To advanced to SG, the crew must participate in a survey that finds a WP. That's it.

2. Does the SG bonus to survey points bypass the 75 SP per StMP rule? If so does this mean I can complete survey's in less then 3 StMP?

Does it say that it bypasses [R2.02.2]? What are the implications of the Golden Rule (Section A, third paragraph, second sentence) for this?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby SCC on Sun 30 Aug 2020 16:41

Cralis wrote:
SCC wrote:So Cralis previously confirmed my suspicion that if you're using the Survey Grade rules you're ships start at SG-2 and then work their way up, well now I've got two more questions:

The wording is quite clear. To advanced to SG-1, the survey crew must partcipate in a survey. To advanced to SG, the crew must participate in a survey that finds a WP. That's it.

The second part of my question is can a ship advance straight from SG-2 to SG by doing a WP survey, the wording is a bit strange.

Cralis wrote:

Does it say that it bypasses [R2.02.2]? What are the implications of the Golden Rule (Section A, third paragraph, second sentence) for this?

I figured that might be the case, which is somewhat upsetting, there goes my attempt to survey a system in two turns.
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sun 30 Aug 2020 20:01

SCC wrote:The second part of my question is can a ship advance straight from SG-2 to SG by doing a WP survey, the wording is a bit strange.

I could have sworn that we have a rule that says you cannot gain more than a single grade at once, but I'm having trouble finding it. It should be in F4 somewhere...

Cralis wrote:

I figured that might be the case, which is somewhat upsetting, there goes my attempt to survey a system in two turns.[/quote]

Not using this method, nope. You'll have to wait for better technology...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby SCC on Mon 31 Aug 2020 00:43

Cralis wrote:
SCC wrote:The second part of my question is can a ship advance straight from SG-2 to SG by doing a WP survey, the wording is a bit strange.

I could have sworn that we have a rule that says you cannot gain more than a single grade at once, but I'm having trouble finding it. It should be in F4 somewhere...

Not sure if it would apply as Survey Grade, not sure even the Golden Rule would apply

Cralis wrote:
SCC wrote:
Cralis wrote:Does it say that it bypasses [R2.02.2]? What are the implications of the Golden Rule (Section A, third paragraph, second sentence) for this?

I figured that might be the case, which is somewhat upsetting, there goes my attempt to survey a system in two turns.

Not using this method, nope. You'll have to wait for better technology...

That's actually a bit strange, bypass a limit like this via high crew skill makes sense but not via higher tech, unless the limit is made a function of the tech.
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Mon 31 Aug 2020 01:54

SCC wrote:
Cralis wrote:Not using this method, nope. You'll have to wait for better technology...

That's actually a bit strange, bypass a limit like this via high crew skill makes sense but not via higher tech, unless the limit is made a function of the tech.

The limit has a lot to do with how crowded you can fill the system with survey ships before you start interfering with the survey readings. Technology can almost always fix or change anything. It's like magic.

(At least, if it's sufficiently more technological than you, it seems that way)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Solar Starfire