New Lurker Registered

Home of Classic Starfire, the 3rd edition of Starfire, based on the novels by David Weber, Steve White, and Charles Gannon.

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

New Lurker Registered

Postby Joe_76 on Wed 03 Aug 2022 06:56

Guten tag, good day mate, goededag, eh, buenos dias (well enough of Google).

Long time board lurker. Finally decided to register. Started playing Star Fire when it first was published. Helped pass the time on deployment. Thought I would try and see if I still had any of the items. It has been 15+ years since I remember seeing anything. Spent several days going thru boxes in the attics. My wife asked what I was looking for and I told her. She said she thought it was in a zipped bag in one closet. I looked in the closet. Then went back to her and asked her where Jimmy Hoffa's body was. She said 'What?' I then said where is the fountain of youth. She went 'What are you talking about?'. I said well you seem to know where everything is. Because she was right. The items had been sitting in the closet for all these years. So found my copies of Star Fire, Stare Fire 2, all 18 issues of Nexus, Empires, GKW, AD, 4th edition, Sky Marshall #2. So I have been rereading the items and trying to relearn how things work. So will probably be asking questions that are basic to do that.

Joe
Me and M T B C.
Joe_76
Midshipman 1st Class
Midshipman 1st Class

Re: New Lurker Registered

Postby dazrand on Fri 05 Aug 2022 11:53

Cool and welcome back! Hope you find Starfire as fun as you remember, I know I do.
dazrand
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Fri 05 Aug 2022 15:09

Joe_76 wrote:Guten tag, good day mate, goededag, eh, buenos dias (well enough of Google).

Greetings!

Long time board lurker. Finally decided to register. Started playing Star Fire when it first was published. Helped pass the time on deployment.

So many of us, myself included, played Starfire during deployment. I think we have players that represent from every branch of the military!

Thought I would try and see if I still had any of the items. It has been 15+ years since I remember seeing anything. Spent several days going thru boxes in the attics. My wife asked what I was looking for and I told her. She said she thought it was in a zipped bag in one closet. I looked in the closet. Then went back to her and asked her where Jimmy Hoffa's body was. She said 'What?' I then said where is the fountain of youth. She went 'What are you talking about?'. I said well you seem to know where everything is. Because she was right. The items had been sitting in the closet for all these years. So found my copies of Star Fire, Stare Fire 2, all 18 issues of Nexus, Empires, GKW, AD, 4th edition, Sky Marshall #2. So I have been rereading the items and trying to relearn how things work. So will probably be asking questions that are basic to do that.

Wow. My wife wouldn't know where any of my games are, even the ones on the shelves out in the open. So hang on tight!

We are definitely here to answer questions!

Do you use discord? You can get answers to your questions much more quickly there, though the forum still remains the best place for storing information like house rules, essays on interstellar combat, etc.

See viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3571

So... what are you thinking about doing?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Joe_76 on Fri 02 Sep 2022 20:01

Well she has put up with me for over 39 years.

Joe
Me and M T B C.
Joe_76
Midshipman 1st Class
Midshipman 1st Class

Postby Joe_76 on Fri 02 Sep 2022 20:09

Well first thing is relearning the rules. I understood Imperial Starfire pretty good. Galactic Starfire is a lot more complicated. I plan on trying to do a small solo campaign before anything bigger.

Joe
Me and M T B C.
Joe_76
Midshipman 1st Class
Midshipman 1st Class

Postby krenshala on Sat 03 Sep 2022 14:21

the basics are unchanged from ISF, though Galactic (and subsequent versions) switched from "Section 08.x.xx.x" to "Section H.x.xx.x" for 'numbering'. The ordering of sections also changed slightly (to tactical first, then strategic, then tech descriptions/appendicies). It shouldn't take you long, if you remember how it worked in ISF, to figure out the new minutia.
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 13yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Mon 05 Sep 2022 16:02

Joe_76 wrote:Well she has put up with me for over 39 years.

22 years here. And I still can't get her to play Starfire... partially because she doesn't like to play games she can't already beat me; and partially because she doesn't really like games that last more than a few hours.

Joe_76 wrote:Well first thing is relearning the rules. I understood Imperial Starfire pretty good. Galactic Starfire is a lot more complicated. I plan on trying to do a small solo campaign before anything bigger.

Actually... you might be surprised. There were some parts in Imperial Starfire that were just incredible time sinks. For example, movement. Or managing missiles.

Starting with Galactic Starfire, the newer versions of Starfire have streamlined quite a bit of the gameplay so that you can focus more on the game and less on the accounting. That's not to say it isn't complex or lacking mathematics, but in many ways it is a lot better than Imperial Starfire. A lot of the beginnings of these changes were made in Sky Marshal #2 and continued to evolve in each version. Plus there are some changes in the base gameplay that make the gameplay more variable. Starting in Galactic Starfire actual tech trees were introduced, for example.

We can absolutely help you navigate your way around until you learn the parts, but if you liked the gameplay in Imperial Starfire, there's a big chance that you'll really like the newer versions. Most players who prefer Imperial Starfire (and Classic Starfire in general) do so because they like the game universe that Weber created for it. And I don't blame them at all!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Classic Starfire