Why Put SBM's In SBMHAWKs?

Home of Classic Starfire, the 3rd edition of Starfire, based on the novels by David Weber, Steve White, and Charles Gannon.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Why Put SBM's In SBMHAWKs?

Postby SCC on Mon 04 Feb 2019 01:15

A bit of a weird question, but I've been rereading the books recently and putting SBM's in SBMHAWKs exclusively actually seems rather odd, SBM's get more range but in exchange they have lower accuracy and are bulkier, meaning you can fit fewer of them in a pod. So given that Thebans never developed SBM technology and thus all their WP defenses must be inside regular capital missile range there's no point in using SBM's in WP attacks. And against the Bugs it's even worse, while they do develop SBM's of their own, they seem pretty reliant on their WP defense crusiers, which are only armed with energy weapons.
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Why Put SBM's In SBMHAWKs?

Postby Cralis on Mon 04 Feb 2019 12:44

SCC wrote:A bit of a weird question, but I've been rereading the books recently and putting SBM's in SBMHAWKs exclusively actually seems rather odd, SBM's get more range but in exchange they have lower accuracy and are bulkier, meaning you can fit fewer of them in a pod. So given that Thebans never developed SBM technology and thus all their WP defenses must be inside regular capital missile range there's no point in using SBM's in WP attacks. And against the Bugs it's even worse, while they do develop SBM's of their own, they seem pretty reliant on their WP defense crusiers, which are only armed with energy weapons.

It's my opinion that Classic Starfire represents a humanocentric view of the universe, meaning that the technology progression represents ONE line of progression based upon humans and how their tech was influenced by the progression of other races around them. If one was to look at the progression by other races, they would look different. For example, gunboats would be a much earlier TL for Bugs, fighters for Rigellians, etc. I personally aligned that with the tech trees from later versions of Starfire and thought "gee, if you think that the technology was actually available at an earlier TL but wasn't researched until later, then you'd get the same results!

With that in mind: I think you're absolutely right. Why can't you put CM or SM into a HAWK pod? It makes sense, right?!? Especially as a threat response for races that don't even have SBMs (or never will have them), to be able to at least crash develop a cruder, earlier version of the same technology.

Case in point: starting with Galactic Starfire we made the "HAWK pod" as an armed drone, and pretty much all weapons can be used in them if you are willing to pay for it and work with the restrictions of being in a drone. If you focused on that research you could get earlier, lighter versions of missile-armed drones a few SL earlier then SL 9, but the effectiveness is much lower. So it's a trade off.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't house rule something very similar for Classic Starfire. If you base the idea on how it works in GSF/USF/SSF, you could count up the number of XO racks required for the number of SBM in the pod and then allow the player to use that XO's worth of CM, SM, CAM, or whatever. I would disallow a few things though: no AMBAMs, EDM, or ADM in the pods. I'm not sure if you want to try and use energy weapons in the pods, but you could probably do something like 1 XO per HS of energy weapon, and it only gets 1 shot per 30 minutes just like IDEW.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby dazrand on Tue 05 Feb 2019 06:43

I would disallow a few things though: no AMBAMs, EDM, or ADM in the pods.

The Pod mounted AMBAM was introduced in ISW4 (TL 13 - rule 27.15.01). So those only exist at that point forward.
dazrand
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Tue 05 Feb 2019 12:09

dazrand wrote:
I would disallow a few things though: no AMBAMs, EDM, or ADM in the pods.

The Pod mounted AMBAM was introduced in ISW4 (TL 13 - rule 27.15.01). So those only exist at that point forward.

Exactly. That's why it shouldn't be part of the house rule.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Classic Starfire