Buckeye Campaign Comment Topic

A solo SOLAR learning campaign, comments welcome.

Moderator: JoeBuckeye

Re: Buckeye Campaign Comment Topic

Postby JoeBuckeye on Sat 03 Aug 2013 05:07

Or maybe have some optional starting rules to provide a more role playing experience rather than a straight, uber-balanced campaign start. It might start you with very few ships and those you have you need to do the things you need to do.

I don't know about others but I like playing a Starfire campaign for the journey it takes me on, not to see if I am #1 but I realize that different people play games for different reasons.
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Postby Vandervecken on Sat 03 Aug 2013 09:30

Cralis said new campaign not new player, Hehehee. But whether a true newbie or an Old "Newbie to SOLAR" like youself (and myself a year ago), I am enjoying see the start up process as you have done. Thanks for taking the time and effort to let us see the details of the Buckeye Campaign.

I encourage others to do the same. Reading stuff in this Starfire Fiction area makes my time at work in the "dead of the night" go by a little bit quicker. It also helps other players, when you find a rule that newer players to the rules may have a question on. It also strengthens my enjoyment of my campaign when I write anything about it. Buckeye, I hope it does the same for you.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Sat 03 Aug 2013 09:53

JoeBuckeye,

I'd still think about buying a Speed 6 medium size (Maybe a CT) WP assault ship. You still have no vessel that can use the last 1/3 of the 6 WP combat movement impulses. I suspect you may be waiting to get Lb before you buy one. If that is the case, I hope the die rolls will be favorable and you don't need that kind of vessel in the immediate future. If I was playing vs the 'Khanese' (My 12.94 year old daughter) , I'd have a good guess what I'd be rolling :roll: .
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby JoeBuckeye on Sat 03 Aug 2013 10:44

I definitely am someone who learns by doing things so I can understand how seeing things laid out can be helpful. I hope others find it useful.

I am trying to let my game play lead to changes from the starting positions on ship building for my empire (which I rolled up on the NPR Design tables). So right now the Buckeye Republic sees no need to build faster ships to squeeze more through a WP in a shorter amount of time. Maybe when they encounter another race (even a non space faring one) they will run some exercises and determine the need for increased number of hulls through a WP in a turn. But until then they will carry on in ignorant bliss of what they are missing.

This is also why I decided to let 10-12 months pass before I decided that the Buckeye Republic sees how inefficient it's current survey method is.
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Postby Vandervecken on Sat 03 Aug 2013 11:38

JoeBuckeye wrote:This is also why I decided to let 10-12 months pass before I decided that the Buckeye Republic sees how inefficient it's current survey method is.

Ineffective sometimes actually works for newer empires. You can't really afford to have all your funds tied into Survey ship maint. or your economy will suffer. You'll also want to find what is near all your WPs closest to your Homeworld. Having all the systems explored relatively evenly gives you a better chance to let you set up for some sort of defense if you meet the wrong kind of NPCs only a few systems from your Homeworld. (Nittany Lions and Gophers and Wolverines, OH MY!), Having most of your survey ships in 1 barrel will mean that that fleet's survey will go quicker but other systems will have to wait for it to get back to them; and extra movement is wasted Exploring time. And remember that many empires will have access to Xb around turn 20 or so, if it is a priority and you get fairly decent die rolls. Then you'll only need 50 Xb equipped ships to max out 1 turn exploring of a systems WP, as it can accommodate a speed 4 MSS. If this comes down to roleplaying your empire, then go ahead and do it. I had the Daniswar in my 'Three Empires' campaign buy 4 x CL in the first 22 turns even though I knew that it would hurt their economy in the long run. Two pair of datalinked Missile CLs was their military's goal as a base reaction defense fleet and they rammed it thru Parliament on a squeakly 54 to 45 vote with 2 abstentions. So I understand and like some roleplaying decisions. Solo campaigns are just ripe for that kind of thing.

And as a side note: the Richland CL is cheaper (less maint. too) than a military engine LRW ship. So there is always that plus; and it moves at a strategic speed of 3 which helps it get to the action quicker than a (Ia) engine standard CL.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby PracticalM on Sat 03 Aug 2013 20:24

JoeBuckeye wrote:The one thing that has always rubbed me the wrong way is building your fleet pre-game and then the direction to mothball most of it to save money. It just feels wrong to me from a role-playing point of view. Your new star empire just discovered a gateway to the stars and will start exploring the galaxy so let's lay up some of the fleet to make more money available for research/colonization/etc. If that is the direction that makes the most sense then maybe the amount of money for the pre game battle fleet needs to be scaled back. Why would there be so many ships available? Anyway, not a huge deal and it's the reason I haven't mothballed anything in my game.

The goal is that the battle fleet represents the fleet that you have available to mothball so that instead of having to build new ships you can demothball instead. NPRs need to have large fleets so they don't roll over to players so players also have to have access to large fleets.

I think starting homeworld population both on the HW and on the other system bodies should be increased but then I usually start my games with higher EL.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cenalt on Wed 07 Aug 2013 21:37

Thanks for posting turn by turn, I find this very helpful to cross-check my figures for reasonableness as I run though my solo campaign.
Cenalt returning to Starfire
Cenalt
Midshipman 1st Class
Midshipman 1st Class

Postby Cralis on Thu 08 Aug 2013 00:13

Turn 14 -- how come every project is only +5 RP? Is that so you can do more projects at the same time?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby JoeBuckeye on Thu 08 Aug 2013 05:17

Cralis wrote:Turn 14 -- how come every project is only +5 RP? Is that so you can do more projects at the same time?

It started as a way to free up more money for colonization efforts. When I found a Benign world so quickly I wanted to get it to a Small sized population as quickly as possible so I reduced R&D spending to make it happen. And then inertia took over and I never bothered to revisit those spending levels. Seems rather life-like, don't you think? :lol:

I guess I should look into increasing R&D spending but the Bureau of Colonization is going to scream bloody murder when their budget is slashed.
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Postby JoeBuckeye on Thu 08 Aug 2013 05:19

Cenalt wrote:Thanks for posting turn by turn, I find this very helpful to cross-check my figures for reasonableness as I run though my solo campaign.

I make no promise about the reasonableness of my numbers. Witness Cralis' valid question about my R&D spending levels.
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Buckeye Campaign