Buckeye Campaign Comment Topic

A solo SOLAR learning campaign, comments welcome.

Moderator: JoeBuckeye

Re: Buckeye Campaign Comment Topic

Postby SCC on Thu 08 Aug 2013 21:11

Is there a reason that the kobolds aren't building more IU or expanding the shipping fleet?
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Fri 09 Aug 2013 00:23

SCC - These are the Buckeye, the Kobolds are not in the Starfire Fiction section, yet. But you bring up an interesting question. The best answer is probably found on the first page of section CC. But I have 2 caveats to that page's charts:

1) Income growth due to population Transfers that are at or just below the IU line are actually slightly better than IU as it makes both MCr and more people who make MCr. Especially on the better worlds. Also, if you run out of PU on a world, you don't really have a colony there any more, although you may still have troops defending the planet/moon. IU without PU are idle, PU without IU still produce. Of course if things are going bad, you CAN sell IU, which you officially cannot do with PU. (Never make a deal with the Borg or Hivers, it is worse than slavery)

2) Ships with Holds 'H' and 'Qv' make decent MCr returns AND can be used for some Special Hazardous routes and invasions and such.

A majority, but definately not all, of my empires will make 1 or 2 small freighters (FT0) and a couple IU every turn even when there are Benign or Harsh worlds 4 or fewer systems from the Homeworld, just to keep all aspects of the empire's economy going up. Except usually the turn you finally buy that first CL, because even your favorite area to spend money on is usually getting little to no love on that turn.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby SCC on Fri 09 Aug 2013 01:04

That table doesn't account for REI boost (Or leader bonus if used)
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Fri 09 Aug 2013 02:16

The tables on the first page of CC have the different REI built into the table, SCC. That is what VR, R , N, P, and VP stand for at the top of the tables
VR = Very Rich
R = Rich
N = Normal
P = Poor
VP = Very Poor

Or am I missing the reference when you say REI boost?

SCC wrote:(Or leader bonus if used)

another reason that sometimes a colonization strategy that is just under the IU line (Just inside the higher portion of the Yellow zone) may actually be a better deal than IU, especially if you get a great governor on that Planet/moon.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby SCC on Fri 09 Aug 2013 03:49

Was confused, thought that REI bonus applied to IU
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby JoeBuckeye on Fri 09 Aug 2013 05:31

SCC wrote:Is there a reason that the kobolds aren't building more IU or expanding the shipping fleet?

As Vander said, this campaign is about the Buckeyes, not those filthy Kobolds. :)

And as Vander also said (seems he has followed this same journey recently) I was following the Advice section with it's nifty ROI (Return On Investment) tables.

I would only start buying IU if I was out of real estate to plop population down on. Right now I am going to put population on every Habitable body no matter it's richness just because they can grow to decent sizes and generate more population to transship elsewhere. Then I will colonize Desolate Rich and Very Rich bodies. Since this includes asteroid belts as they are Desolate Rich (or at least the AST-B ones are) I have plenty of available real estate within 2 StMP of my homeworld right now. I have no plans to colonize any Extreme bodies at this time as IU would be a better investment (unless I need a population somewhere to claim a system or provide sensor coverage).

I had not thought of maybe building an FT0 or two per turn to increase the government pool and raise leasing income though. I'll have to look into that. My hunch is that spreading out PTU's is still the better investment but I haven't looked into it.

Thanks for the comments though guys. Making me think about things.
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Postby SCC on Fri 09 Aug 2013 05:48

Due to the way the curves work you'll be better off building a FT[2] class of frighters
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Fri 09 Aug 2013 10:25

SCC wrote:Due to the way the curves work you'll be better off building a FT[2] class of freighters

That is possibly correct, there was a nice forum topic about this a while ago. (FT0 vs FT1 vs FT2 vs FT4).

Doesn't matter so much to me as I often am just squeaking that single FT0 into the budget during the first dozen turns, I've heard of others who will buy a sizable FT fleet right 'off the bat' if the Home system sort of sucks.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby procyon on Fri 09 Aug 2013 15:37

My players tend to max out there FT fleet, but that is a symptom of our games having so few habs.
And there is a nice thread on FT returns by size. It will show which has the best return, but if you look at the math the difference between a FT0/H and FT4/H is only a couple tenths of a percent on return difference.

And the little FT0 is good to keep around as it will only pull a few MC from your income if you need to use it to ferry maint to a fleet in a contested system (your CFN won't go there) or move an admiral to that same fleet.

It's biggest drawback is in a multiplayer game. If you roll in V for a random CFN convoy - you will never see a FT0. So if another player runs across a FT0, they will know that it belongs to another player and is likely a high value target.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby SCC on Sat 10 Aug 2013 00:06

Why aren't you reporting any interest?
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Buckeye Campaign