Buckeye Republic Ship Designs

A solo SOLAR learning campaign, comments welcome.

Moderator: JoeBuckeye

Buckeye Republic Ship Designs

Postby JoeBuckeye on Wed 31 Jul 2013 18:40

Here are the starting ship designs of the Buckeye Republic.

The NPR ship design tables have this empire starting by using all commercial engines. It also gave said to use 25% HS for passive defenses with an even split between S and A, favoring A with an odd number.

Survey Ships
The NPR ship design tables gave a survey fleet breakdown of 40% unarmed EX and 60% armed ES.

Wright EX - (2) - AH(Bsa)XaQa(Ica) - (4/4) carries 1 x st Cost=83.5 MC Maint=13 MC
Glenn ES - (2) - SAA(Bsa)LaXaQa(Ica) - (3/3) carries 1 x st Cost=135.2 MC Maint= 21 MC

Military Ships
The NPR ship design tale gave a military fleet breakdown as: Build equal HS of largest size and the next two largest sizes with a speed increase (FRD) over the largest size (same engines). This means I really should get to building a CL but I haven't gotten around to it yet. The tables also had the small class all SRW, the middle class a mix and the large class all LRW.

Allen CT - (2) - SAA(Ica)LaLaQa(Ica) - (4/4) Cost=147.2 MC Maint= 23 MC
Columbiana FG - (2) - SSAAAQa(Ica)LaYa(Ica)RaQa(Ica) - (4.5/4.5) Cost= 223.1 MC Maint= 34 MC
Wayne DD - (2) - SSSAAAA(Ica)RaQa(Ica)RaMg(Ica)RaQa(Ica) - (4/4) Cost= 303.0 MC Maint= 46 MC

Bases
Scioto BS1 - (0) - SSSAAAALaLaQaLaM1LaLaQa - (0/0) Cost= 305.0 MC Maint= 16 MC

Freighters/Auxiliaries
Grant FT0 - (2) - HHHHQa(Ica) - (4/4) Cost= 37.25 MC Maint= 3 MC
Hayes FT0 - (2) - QvQvQvQvQa(Ica) - (4/4) Cost= 55.25 MC Maint= 5 MC
Garfield FT2 - (2) - H(Ica)Ta(Ica)Qa(Ica#3) - (4/4) Cost= 92.28 MC Maint= 7 MC

Space Station Modules
Main SY Core (0) - {(SY)x10} (0/0) Cost= 6400 MC Maint= 48 MC
SY Def SA (0) - (Sx7)(Ax7)Qa - (0/0) Cost= 97.0 MC Maint= 2 MC
SY Def SAR (0) - (Sx5)(Ax5)RaQa - (0/0) Cost= 115.0 MC Maint= 3 MC
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Re: Buckeye Republic Ship Designs

Postby JoeBuckeye on Sat 03 Aug 2013 09:26

New CL class has been laid down by the Buckeye Republic on Month 12.

Richland CL (2) - (Sx5)(Ax6)(icaIca)RaQaRa(IcaIca)RaQaRaMgYaQaRa(Ica) - (3/3) Cost= 496.25 MC Maint= 75 MC

The Mg holds an additional 60 x RM. This class will be the primary LRW platform of the Navy once it enters service.
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Postby JoeBuckeye on Sun 18 Aug 2013 06:05

Forgot to add the two latest auxiliary classes that just started building.

Harrison FT4 (2) - (Ica)(SYM)Qa(Ica) - (2/2) Cost= 277.5 MC Maint= 10 MC
McKinley FT4 (2) - (Ica)(MS)Qa(Ica) - (2/2) Cost= 227.5 MC Maint= 10 MC

These two classes will allow the Republic to either build or assemble units in systems outside of Ohio.

NOTE: I also went back and added build and maint costs for all previous designs in this thread.
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Postby JoeBuckeye on Mon 19 Aug 2013 19:11

New asteroid fort for the defense of the Republic.

Olentangy AF (0) - (12xA)LbLbM1QaLbTaYaM1LbQaLbLbLbQa - (0/0) Cost= 528 MC Maint= 16 MC

This base is for close in WP defense. It mounts a tractor beam for two purposes. One, it will allow it to tractor any enemy vessel foolish enough to enter the same hex as it and hold it there for pummeling. Two, it will allow it to attach to any friendly vessel to be moved about the system it is in and not rely on a Garfield class tug for positioning.
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Postby JoeBuckeye on Mon 19 Aug 2013 19:22

New FG and DD designs for the fleet.

Clark DD (2) - SSSAAAA(Ica)RaYa(Ica)QaLb(Ica)LbQa(Ica) - (4/4) Cost= 321 MC Maint= 49 MC

Wood FG (2) - SSAAA(Ica)QaLb(Ica)LbYaQa(Ica) - (4.5/4.5) Cost= 234.1 MC Maint= 36 MC

The fleet design philosophy is to build a LRW only class of the largest vessel (in this case CL). A LRW/SRW mixed class will be of the largest vessel that has a speed advantage of the LRW vessel (in this case DD). The SRW only class will be the next largest vessel after the mixed vessel (in this case FG). The fleet also uses only Ica engines at this point in time.

The Republic Navy is wondering if the SRW Wood class FG is worth the cost increase over the Allen class CT it is supposed to replace in the fleet. Both classes mount 2 Lasers with the Wood class having more defenses and also carries a Ya to help scout for the fleet but it comes at quite a cost increase (147 MC vs 234 MC) and increased maintenance (23 MC vs 36 MC).
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Postby SCC on Mon 19 Aug 2013 21:00

Why does the Olentangy class have Ya, they don't have any LRW?
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby procyon on Tue 20 Aug 2013 03:26

Nice.

One suggestion.
On the LRW DD change the Mg to a Mgs and Hs.
It only costs 1 more Mc, the Mgs will still give it a total of 18 salvos (10 in weapon + 8 from mgs) while the Hs will give a bonus to Em Repair rolls (which can be a life saver).
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby JoeBuckeye on Tue 20 Aug 2013 05:03

SCC wrote:Why does the Olentangy class have Ya, they don't have any LRW?

Good question. I think I left it in my spreadsheet when I was playing around with Lb and Ra heavy designs and just left it in the Lb design by accident.

In game it will be because the contractors selling Ya convinced the Design Board that all WP defense bases should have Ya to help increase sensor coverage for things coming near the WP.
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Postby JoeBuckeye on Tue 20 Aug 2013 05:06

procyon wrote:Nice.

One suggestion.
On the LRW DD change the Mg to a Mgs and Hs.
It only costs 1 more Mc, the Mgs will still give it a total of 18 salvos (10 in weapon + 8 from mgs) while the Hs will give a bonus to Em Repair rolls (which can be a life saver).

Nice idea. I'll keep it in mind for future designs.

These are the sorts of things I am missing from rejoining the game. I haven't read the Emergency Repair rules so I don't know that having a hold helps in those die rolls.

I think I'm getting the non-combat side of things down pretty good now. It may be time for my Buckeyes to encounter... others.
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Postby Xveers on Thu 22 Aug 2013 18:49

JoeBuckeye wrote:These are the sorts of things I am missing from rejoining the game. I haven't read the Emergency Repair rules so I don't know that having a hold helps in those die rolls.

I think I'm getting the non-combat side of things down pretty good now. It may be time for my Buckeyes to encounter... others.

Pretty certain that having an intact H on a ship helps with the damage control rolls after a battle.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Next

Return to Buckeye Campaign