Turn 1

A solo SOLAR learning campaign, comments welcome.

Moderator: JoeBuckeye

Turn 1

Postby JoeBuckeye on Wed 31 Jul 2013 19:16

Turn 1

Income
2580.5 MC from populations in Ohio

Maintenance
1594 MC

SS - 63
17 x Wright EX - 221
26 x Glenn ES - 546
10 x Allen CT - 230
7 x Columbiana FG - 238
5 x Wayne DD - 230
3 x Scioto BS1 - 48
1 x Garfield FT2 - 7
2 x Grant FT0 - 6
1 x Hayes FT0 - 5

R&D
956.1 MC

RDS1 - Y SL2 (10 RP)
RDS2 - Elec SL2 (10 RP)
RDS3 - SmCrft SL2 (5 RP)
RDS4 - L SL2 (5 RP)
RDS5 - R SL2 (5 RP)
RDS6 - Q SL2 (5 RP)

SA1 - Random Breakthrough, 10% chance

Construction
0 MC

Colonization
0 MC

Other
0 MC

Ending Balance
30.4 MC

Interest
0.6 MC

Events
Survey Fleet probed through WP3 in Ohio and found a Blue Giant system and named it Kentucky. Started doing WP survey.
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Re: Turns 1-10

Postby SCC on Thu 01 Aug 2013 02:01

Shouldn't Columbus have been producing free colonists that you could ship for free to other bodies in the system? (You'll still to to BUY colony supplies but not pay shipping on them)
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Thu 01 Aug 2013 04:20

SCC wrote:Shouldn't Columbus have been producing free colonists that you could ship for free to other bodies in the system? (You'll still to to BUY colony supplies but not pay shipping on them)

A Homeworld with 2001.0 PU produces 200 PTU before it cuts into the Homeworld Population but a Homeworld with 2000.9 PU only produces 28 PTU before you start removing Population from the homeworld. Quite a nasty cut off as the value of a PU goes from 500 down to 70. But the amount of free to move colonists is really limited by the amount of income the system produces and is quite small. On turn # 1, the Buckeye Empire had an income of 2580.5. That gives him 25 free Qv from 'in-system CFN', which means that he could move 2 PTU for free as you cannot move a partial PTU. He has 258 free H he could move so that (H) won't be the limiting factor as even an extreme environment only takes 24 H per PTU. Still 2 free PTU is 2 free PTU. Finally he'll need to still pay the emplacement cost which should be 20 MCr for his mB or B; The B grows bigger, but the mB that are Very Rich do pay out better. With only 30.4 MCr, he could have bought 1 PTU for one of those Desolate places. It would pay for itself in less than 20 turns.

Frack, I was responding to SCCs entry and didn't notice this wasn't in the comments section. Sorry.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby PracticalM on Thu 01 Aug 2013 22:11

The 25 free Qv are multiplied by the rates in L4.11.1 which allows that 25 Qv to actually move 25 PTU which is how we've always played it as far back as the original GSF playtest.

But looking at the rules as currently written you would be correct that the in-system pool is now basically useless.
It seems odd that if you use CFN freighters you get 1/10 capacity but not the in system pool.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby SCC on Fri 02 Aug 2013 01:31

PracticalM wrote:The 25 free Qv are multiplied by the rates in L4.11.1 which allows that 25 Qv to actually move 25 PTU which is how we've always played it as far back as the original GSF playtest.

But looking at the rules as currently written you would be correct that the in-system pool is now basically useless.
It seems odd that if you use CFN freighters you get 1/10 capacity but not the in system pool.

That's probably an error introduced as part of the efforts to nerf the in-system CFN
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Fri 02 Aug 2013 02:49

PracticalM wrote:The 25 free Qv are multiplied by the rates in L4.11.1 which allows that 25 Qv to actually move 25 PTU which is how we've always played it as far back as the original GSF playtest.

Interestingly enough, GSF L4.11 and GSF L4.11.1 contradict each other because L4.11 states that the in-system CFN has a capacity equal to 1/2 the normal CFN capacity, while L4.11.1 gives the in-system capacity for Q as 1 PTU per 100 MC of income.

That is why you thought 1 Q moved 1 PTU. It was a special rule that gave a non-Q capacity, not a modified CFN rate. So there was no change other than to remove the special rule.

And even more interesting, that rule was overwritten in GSF ELITE and replaced with essentially the same rule you see in ULTRA and SOLAR STARFIRE today for the in-system CFN.

So you can move a handful of PTU instead of your entire compliment. That isn't exactly useless, just less than the original incarnation of the rule... which could be argued as "too much"

I think the in-system CFN rule presumes that you will be using shuttles and short-range freighters instead of full-sized freighters. So either capacity is lower or speed is lower, or both.

SCC wrote:That's probably an error introduced as part of the efforts to nerf the in-system CFN

Not sure what you're talking about. There is no "effort to nerf the in-system CFN" and never has been... at least not since GSF ELITE.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby JoeBuckeye on Fri 02 Aug 2013 07:10

I guess I was using table L4.11.1 for moving stuff around in system.

To a planet's moons there is limits on usage but I would still have to pay 30 MC per PTU emplaced.

To move stuff outside the source of the PTU it is still free but capacity is limited by InSystem CFN pools. I starting moving more colonists around in-system in the following turns until something better came along.

I found the limit on Qv to be the biggest limitation of the InSys CFN and had to pull from the regular CFN to move colonists further away from Columbus' moons.

I had thought the InSys CFN had more capacity in the past but it's been so long since I really played that I didn't need to unlearn the old stuff.
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Re: Turn 1

Postby Vandervecken on Fri 02 Aug 2013 08:27

JoeBuckeye wrote:To a planet's moons there is limits on usage but I would still have to pay 30 MC per PTU emplaced.

mH and mF are 30 MCr

mB are only 20 MCr per PTU as they are Desolate and not Extreme like mH and mF are per L1.03 table.

Edit: Going thru the turns it looks as if you are paying correct amounts for mB.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Turn 1

Postby JoeBuckeye on Fri 02 Aug 2013 09:42

Yeah, typo in my post there. Was paying 20 MC per PTU emplaced on a Desolate moon.
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Postby SCC on Fri 02 Aug 2013 23:36

Cralis wrote:
SCC wrote:That's probably an error introduced as part of the efforts to nerf the in-system CFN

Not sure what you're talking about. There is no "effort to nerf the in-system CFN" and never has been... at least not since GSF ELITE.

I remember reading at some point that the in-system CFN got scaled right back to prevent unlimited in-system colonization per turn, that's what I'm talking about
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Next

Return to Buckeye Campaign