General Comments

Solo campaign by olivertheorem

Moderator: olivertheorem

Re: General Comments

Postby procyon on Thu 05 Sep 2013 08:03

I'm pretty sure drakar was just using our old standby that you had one hour for the initial 'probe' which amounts to less than 1% of 5 day. Any more than that and you were considered to be conducting a 'system probe' for us and it burned the StMP for survey.

It isn't exactly spelled out in the rules so that was our 'rule of thumb'. A tactical probe was 1 hour or less and a system probe was greater than 1 hour. But it could be set to individual tastes.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby olivertheorem on Thu 05 Sep 2013 19:49

I presume a "tactical probe" is for the purpose of finding out of there are bad guys on the other side of that WP, while a "system probe" is to find out what all is in the system on the other side of that WP. So this would be a system probe, which I think I will also treat as burning the StMP.

The important thing is to be consistent, right? :P

Edit: On the explorers, I've decided to put a pair of Bsa's on each of them. Minimal increase in maintenance costs and it increases capability.
olivertheorem
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby olivertheorem on Thu 05 Sep 2013 20:14

Modified the WP transit stuff in the turn 1 post in light of the excessive speed I was giving my EX's. I think it works properly now.

And yes, I know I'm taking a whole month to get the fleet over. I think this empire likes to play it safe and keep all their ships together as much as possible. The dice said they only explore 1 WP a month, so it fits.
olivertheorem
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby JoeBuckeye on Sat 07 Sep 2013 06:45

olivertheorem wrote:Edit: On the explorers, I've decided to put a pair of Bsa's on each of them. Minimal increase in maintenance costs and it increases capability.

Make sure you watch the limit for bays of any sort (BLx or Bsx) on non-fast hulls. See [B?.03.1].
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Postby olivertheorem on Sat 07 Sep 2013 10:50

Oh crap. Back to the drawing board (again).

Thanks for the catch, JoeBuckeye.
olivertheorem
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Sat 07 Sep 2013 11:38

I'd just go for the 7 HS 6 HTK ...

[2] S (Bsa) H Xa Qa (Ica) [4/4]

... design. It isn't pretty. It isnt unique. But it gets the basic WP and System Survey jobs done; and as mentioned before, you can swap out the 'H Xa' for an 'Xb' in a few turns (hopefully).

I'd make 1 of these for every 2 to 4 of the basic 5 HS Explorers.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby olivertheorem on Sat 07 Sep 2013 13:18

I just took out one of the Bsa's so I could get on with things. Turn 1 numbers are now final and the first month narrative is up.
olivertheorem
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Previous

Return to Into The Darkness