Play advice Update / newbie section

Home of discussions about Ultra Starfire (5th edition) and its predecessor Galactic Starfire (4th edition).

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Play advice Update / newbie section

Postby procyon on Tue 26 Apr 2011 02:20

I was just reading that AA.03 says that starting out, ONLY 1 and 1/2 are available.
But if the 20% were applied, then a FT0 would create a .4 and FT2 a .2.
It just specifically states in AA.03 that those aren't available at the start.

Just another loophole that needs closed/addressed. :|
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby Elminster on Tue 26 Apr 2011 02:35

procyon wrote:I was just reading that AA.03 says that starting out, ONLY 1 and 1/2 are available.
But if the 20% were applied, then a FT0 would create a .4 and FT2 a .2.
It just specifically states in AA.03 that those aren't available at the start.

Just another loophole that needs closed/addressed. :|

Not necessarily. AA.03 says system sizes are available with according systems. The 20% for FT are no system. They only say that you can not exceed this size in military systems.

For me this is pretty clear, but a little example could be useful.
In memory of Gary Gygax
In memory of Leonard Nimoy
In memory of Christopher Lee

In memory of Albert Einstein
E = MC^2 + 1d10
Elminster
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby procyon on Tue 26 Apr 2011 02:40

Elminster wrote:For me this is pretty clear, but a little example could be useful.

Agreed. ;)

Another one on the survey thought my middle boy would say. Make sure to put a Bs on the survey ships. Even the tiny ones. Buy two cheap gigs to put in it.
Speeds your survey rate on planets by 50-66% early on, and if you have a permissive SM you can perform the 50SP uninhabited survey while you are doing the WP survey. Anything that doesn't come back with results and isn't obviously a gas/ice will be the habitables. That way you know what to concentrate on.

EDIT
I do require them to dedicate ONE survey ship with X for the sys bod survey, but allow it to coalate the data from the entire survey groups cg's.

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby Elminster on Tue 26 Apr 2011 02:54

procyon wrote:Another one on the survey thought my middle boy would say. Make sure to put a Bs on the survey ships. Even the tiny ones. Buy two cheap gigs to put in it.
Speeds your survey rate on planets by 50-66% early on,

In a full month survey you get +4 Sp with 2 gigs, but if you put 1 st in, you get +6 Sp.

and if you have a permissive SM you can perform the 50SP uninhabited survey while you are doing the WP survey. Anything that doesn't come back with results and isn't obviously a gas/ice will be the habitables. That way you know what to concentrate on.

That is not a good house rule. In this case you give the X additional capacity. I, as a player, would ask: If it can calculate the survey of system bodies on the way, why can't I use this capacity for additional WP survey points? Or the other way round, why can't I use the WP survey points for system body survey, if I do only this?

If you are one of these "permissive SM", I would advise you to be less permissive. ;)
In memory of Gary Gygax

E = MC^2 + 1d10
Elminster
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby procyon on Tue 26 Apr 2011 03:20

The reason for the cg instead of st is just the cost for the middle boy. cg are 5MC, 2 are 10MC, while the st is 20. So more SP for the MC. (The fact that the Bsa hikes the cost of his survey ships is a fact he conveniently ignores.)

I don't have the latest rule set so I may be in error, but R3.01 states that different surveys may be conducted simultaneously, but the ship must be assigned to one type of survey. Hence the one ship to oversee the cg's, while the rest do the WP's.

The oldest boy used to build small warships with bunches of Bs on them just to blast through planetary surveys. No rule against it.

procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby procyon on Tue 26 Apr 2011 03:26

Next one if we were on the FT/survey issue... remember to ALWAYS put (AC) on ALL your FT.
Its free ! :)
That way you can use those FT with Qv to land troops before you have those ast.

Another ornery one my wife does with WP surveys.
When you get AP and find a new WP, send a CD through programmed to come right back.
If it doesn't, use that FG/DD WP Explorer.
The CD wil also get replaced free at the start of the next month.

procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby Elminster on Tue 26 Apr 2011 03:37

procyon wrote:The reason for the cg instead of st is just the cost for the middle boy. cg are 5MC, 2 are 10MC, while the st is 20. So more SP for the MC. (The fact that the Bsa hikes the cost of his survey ships is a fact he conveniently ignores.)

In the newest version of the rules the st is 15 MC.

I don't have the latest rule set so I may be in error, but R3.01 states that different surveys may be conducted simultaneously, but the ship must be assigned to one type of survey. Hence the one ship to oversee the cg's, while the rest do the WP's.

Ah, just another misunderstanding. If the Bs ship has a X, too, and is not involved in the WP survey, this has nothing to do with a "permissive SM". The rules simply allow it.

The oldest boy used to build small warships with bunches of Bs on them just to blast through planetary surveys. No rule against it.

I have seen FGf with Xp and 12 st. This ship can generate 75 body survey points per month. Two of them can easily trail behind the survey fleets and "cleaning up" the systems.
In memory of Gary Gygax

E = MC^2 + 1d10
Elminster
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby procyon on Tue 26 Apr 2011 03:54

Next thought from the kids. (Ok, the oldest are up for school now and texting me.)

EARLY in the game (pre CC) build and mothball a BUNCH of 5HS FT0.
Put one on each side of a WP a few hexes out.
Cheap to maintain, and can send broadband radio signals across a system to planets/other WP in the event of attacks, etc. Keep it a few hexes off the WP with its drive down and it makes a handy warning.
If it needs to send a message, it turns it drive on, goes to-transits the WP, broadcasts, then comes back.
Much quicker than sending a ship to the WP.
Generally much faster than CD if you aren't worried about someone pinpointing where the broadcast is coming from.

EDIT
On those little FT's put a Mg, makes a good stockpile of extra missiles if you need them.

procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby PracticalM on Tue 26 Apr 2011 15:11

Some new player tidbits.

Build a probe ship that can survive a Maser Nebula. It doesn't have to have MNE but you should be able to take 2 points of Energy Beam damage and return.

Picket or drop a buoy at every WP you find. In the game, I'm running now players who have failed to picket every WP are facing other empires entering their space and exploring because players are leaving doors open for them. Picket ships can be simply be EXs like AHQa(Ica) or you can splurge for Ya instead of A. If you are at a higher SL Buoy2 like sYa.c.n is expensive but you can see what shows up. These ships can also serve as system probe and first contact ships. Note even if you don't get the speed benefit consider having your best Ic engines to increase your perceived EL by contacted NPRs. Ic engines don't cost a lot more per generation and it's the cheapest way to have your perceived EL increase. (Unless having XOs with your most advanced missile would count.)

Keep building a lot of hulls even if you just mothball them. When an NPR attacks its faster to update a bunch of hulls with modern weapons than it is to build them from scratch. Even if you can't update the weapons just being able to demothball a bunch of ships quickly is better than building new.

Build Fleet scouts with Yca when you can. I tend to build them on Fast hulls with Ic engines to make them a bit harder for military ships to catch over time (they will catch and kill it if they want to deal with engine burnout)

Build a communications network. using BS0 with CC or Buoy1 with c. Getting information around your systems is very important.

Build a MS ship as soon as you can so you can assemble those BS0 you need for your comm network.

Build more survey ships as early as you can. While it is a higher risk to explore more systems, it also can provide a higher benefit. Most of the players that fall behind, fall behind because they are not exploring as much as their opponents.

Pick your tech focus carefully. Decide what you want to keep pushing your technology on and make sure you are researching it every turn. Breakthroughs are the big slow down here so prepare a back up plan if a breakthrough is taking too long. Buying from NPRs is often well worth it.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Club on Tue 26 Apr 2011 20:08

PracticalM wrote:Build a probe ship that can survive a Maser Nebula. It doesn't have to have MNE but you should be able to take 2 points of Energy Beam damage and return.

Four points. It takes a turn to turn around. Effectively you need 6 internal HTK, since it ignores your hold, you need your engines (Last system) intact, and passives do nothing.
TAG: As I understand it, he sought to avoid turning one-point-six trillion Terran sophonts into undead, war-mongering super-soldiers.
Captain Tagon: It it wrong for me to think that would be pretty cool to watch?

http://www.schlockmercenary.com
Club
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Ultra Starfire