Starfire Turn Spreadsheet Mk5

Home of discussions about Ultra Starfire (5th edition) and its predecessor Galactic Starfire (4th edition).

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Starfire Turn Spreadsheet Mk5

Postby Xveers on Sat 01 Aug 2009 23:13

Heya guys! I've been doing my usual thing, working on my spreadsheet and working to make it as advanced and useful and functional as possible.

As a result, I'm now happy to state that my Mk5 version is ready to be released unto the world! Since I can't upload a file out here directly, I'm just going to link it. It's over Here.

Please post comments, suggestions, bugs etc etc here so that I know what to fix.

Future Priorities:
Adding the "Space Ownership" bit of optional rules to the race information section
Condensing some of the trade treaty code and verifying that it calculates properly.

Long Term (will require polling for support.. there is a string here...)
Adding support for exotic races and planetary amalgamation/handling multiple races on one planet that are amalgamated
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Starfire Turn Spreadsheet Mk5

Postby Cralis on Sun 02 Aug 2009 01:15

Wow very nice. Would you like me to link it as a player submission in the main downloads?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Xveers on Sun 02 Aug 2009 01:51

Sure! Go on ahead. Feel free to mirror it as well... I didn't zip it up, but it should compress nicely....
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby PracticalM on Sun 02 Aug 2009 09:54

Two issues that I noticed right away.

1. The format used in the Planets tab is not similar to the way the system generation tool displays planets. It would be better if the format was similar so that things could be copied and pasted instead of having to be typed in. Also no columns for the planet distance or moon distance which is just nice to have on the income page.

2. An error in the tech assistance formula. This sheets formula doesn't give the RP bonus on the empires RP rate but instead on the RP purchased that turn. This is incorrect. If empire's rate is 10, then the RP bonus is 3 for tech data even if only 1 RP is purchased that turn.

I love the tech list that looks quite nice, but I'm not sure why your construction page is so much less powerful than the one in the original spreadsheets that Marvin made.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Xveers on Sun 02 Aug 2009 20:11

PracticalM wrote:The format used in the Planets tab is not similar to the way the system generation tool displays planets. It would be better if the format was similar so that things could be copied and pasted instead of having to be typed in.

This was noted a while back by one of my playtesters (different planet codes) but it simply was never high enough on my priority list to patch. I'll add it to my bug list for repair in a future update. I'll look about setting it up so information can be more easily pasted across, but that does depend heavily on the output of the system design tool as well. Some editing (removing blank spaces from the paste) would have to be done manually I think irregardless. I can't rig up Excel to strip them out without macros or unholy spaghetti code. (See my post in the Office 07 and Macros for more on this).

PracticalM wrote:Also no columns for the planet distance or moon distance which is just nice to have on the income page.

Hmm... interesting idea. I like it. That would be easy to implement.

PracticalM wrote:An error in the tech assistance formula. This sheets formula doesn't give the RP bonus on the empires RP rate but instead on the RP purchased that turn. This is incorrect. If empire's rate is 10, then the RP bonus is 3 for tech data even if only 1 RP is purchased that turn.

Noted and buglisted. As an additional note, the spreadsheet does not handle the custom race stuff, another thing I'd be able to implement with macros.

PracticalM wrote:I love the tech list that looks quite nice, but I'm not sure why your construction page is so much less powerful than the one in the original spreadsheets that Marvin made.

The tech list idea was lifted from someone else's spreadsheet. I just had minions do a LOT of data entry to make it all more coherent :D The Construction page was an evolution from Marvin's actual printed sheets (I have the first 40 months of the deWulf in hardcopy!) instead of his spreadsheets as I didn't quite understand them. By the time I was in a position to do so, I had misplaced them and couldn't find them.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Phareux on Sun 09 Aug 2009 08:30

i would like to print out hard copy of the info page but i dont understand anything about spreadsheets. when i printed it out it came out as 4 seperate sheets.
He who live by the Sword,
Had better have a damn sharp blade
Phareux
Midshipman 1st Class
Midshipman 1st Class

Return to Ultra Starfire