J'Rill Question

Home of discussions about Ultra Starfire (5th edition) and its predecessor Galactic Starfire (4th edition).

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

J'Rill Question

Postby Rhishisikk on Thu 07 Jul 2011 09:34

Was reading the Some Assembly Required thread and realized something:

I've only heard one strategy for defeating the J'Rill, which is to assemble a HUGE cloud of small ships with long-range weapons and XO racks, and just smother them with ordinance.

What other tactics have people tried, and with what results?
Rhishisikk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: J'Rill Question

Postby krenshala on Thu 07 Jul 2011 16:56

Using the standard rules, the J'Rill are able to build replacement ships fairly quickly. The SY cannot build while moving, but they usually only build in systems the FACTORY ships are harvesting in, which means systems the J'Rill race considers "secure".

From what others have said (back on the mailing list) the best strategy against a J'Rill is to take out their SY and/or FACT units, which limits their ability to replace losses.

This hasn't really come up in my game yet, but once the Assembly runs into someone of a higher EL I'm pretty sure it will. :) Of course, I'm running a non-standard game (uncompressed time, so construction takes 10 times longer) which changes how things will play out.
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 13yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Thu 07 Jul 2011 19:29

The reason swarms work well is the J'Rill kamikaze ships do a big number on larger ships. Swarm losses are easier to absorb.

Other tactics that work well involve fighter and gunboat carriers for much the same reason. The faster ships can escape the J'Rill while the squadrons pound the daylights out of them. Of course, if the J'Rill gear towards killing smcft it could be expensive.

Really it all depends upon the J'Rill configuration as well. They tend towards smaller ships, but I've also seen a few different configurations.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby procyon on Fri 08 Jul 2011 00:09

The middle boy of mine came up with a rather unique solution once, but it borders on desparation and requires a rather rare set of circumstances.

He ran into a large group of J'Rill with enough EAV to swamp his task force. If I remember correctly he had 3 DN, 3 BB, and 6 BC. The middle boy has always liked to go passive heavy, and to reach the system he was in required crossing a Mazer Nebula - so his ships all had 3-4 MNE (redundancy in case they lost some in battle in the nebula), with the BCs having S1 x15 and A1 x15. The BBs and DNs had considerably more.

He happened to run into this group of J'rill near the system primary, a white star. His group had enough warning (Ycb on the BBs) to move close to the primary. As the J'Rill closed, he began to park in the outer corona of the star. Ships targetting ships in a corona only get 1/10th normal sensor range while those in the corona get about 75%. He would keep playing 'ring around the rosy' with the J'Rill heavies ducking into and out of the corona. When the swarm of EAVs closed, he waited until the last round and detuned straight toward the star.

The EAVs followed their programming and dove right in. Needless to say, a bunch of EX sized ships didn't last long. After the little guys all burned up he brought out his bigger ships and had it out. Lost a few of the BCs as I remember but that was better than what I expected.

Like I said, kind of unique circumstances.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby Cralis on Fri 08 Jul 2011 00:18

I didn't find sensor effects for being inside/outside a Corona, and in the revision added them myself. Where did you find them?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby procyon on Fri 08 Jul 2011 02:29

Cralis wrote:I didn't find sensor effects for being inside/outside a Corona, and in the revision added them myself. Where did you find them?

Sorry about the delay. Just got a pair of premies and have been real busy.

It is kind of an obsure rule, and I admit to a dated set.

You find it in W5.03.1
Ships inside the damage area are only visible at 1/10th the normal range, and have their sensor range reduced by 75%.

I knew it was 75% one way of the other. The point was he didn't want to get in a shooting contest so he hid until they committed the EAVs. The detuning deep into the corona was a surprise to our whole family.

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby Elminster on Fri 08 Jul 2011 02:45

procyon wrote:It is kind of an obsure rule, and I admit to a dated set.

You find it in W5.03.1
Ships inside the damage area are only visible at 1/10th the normal range, and have their sensor range reduced by 75%.

That's right even for the most actual version.

A hold over, or a lapse on including this in D5.03.1.
In memory of Gary Gygax
In memory of Leonard Nimoy
In memory of Christopher Lee

In memory of Albert Einstein
E = MC^2 + 1d10
Elminster
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby Taluron on Fri 08 Jul 2011 06:50

procyon wrote:[SNIP] When the swarm of EAVs closed, he waited until the last round and detuned straight toward the star.

The EAVs followed their programming and dove right in. Needless to say, a bunch of EX sized ships didn't last long. After the little guys all burned up he brought out his bigger ships and had it out.[SNIP]

Mmmmmmmm, popcorn!
Taluron
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby krenshala on Fri 08 Jul 2011 17:15

procyon wrote:
Cralis wrote:I didn't find sensor effects for being inside/outside a Corona, and in the revision added them myself. Where did you find them?

Sorry about the delay. Just got a pair of premies and have been real busy.

It is kind of an obsure rule, and I admit to a dated set.

You find it in W5.03.1

I knew it was 75% one way of the other. The point was he didn't want to get in a shooting contest so he hid until they committed the EAVs. The detuning deep into the corona was a surprise to our whole family.

I'll bet. The time it would take to either call back the EAVs (if out of direct control range) or reprogram them (if still in direct control range) would be long enough for them to sustain enough damage to effectively mission kill them, even if they managed to survive the corona ( (<star radius> * 2) - (<distance to star center> - 1) adds up rapidly if you aren't very careful in your maneuvering ;) ).

Even with the MNE, he had to have taken damage using that move. How bad was it?
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 13yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby procyon on Sat 09 Jul 2011 09:51

krenshala wrote:Even with the MNE, he had to have taken damage using that move. How bad was it?

He had turned off the MNE prior to his dive into the corona, and only turned them on the round he decided to committ. He had only skimmed the edge early on, just losing a single shield that he could regenerate fairly quickly. When he dove in, he turned on the MNE and ended up 6-7 hexes inside the corona. Lost a few shields that round. He hard turned the next and his shields took a hit, but less than what the EAVs would have.
Next round he turned and detuned back to the outer hex of the corona for just one more lost shield.

As I said, he had been playing ring around the rosy with the J'Rill heavies and had plenty of time to clear the corona and regenerate his shields before he turned back to engage. Even the BCs didn't lose all 15 S1's before he was out.

All in all, a pretty sharp tactic for someone who was only 14 at the time.

procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Next

Return to Ultra Starfire