Tech Auction

Home of discussions about Ultra Starfire (5th edition) and its predecessor Galactic Starfire (4th edition).

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Tech Auction

Postby PracticalM on Sun 26 Jul 2009 21:05

We used this in a campaign we were playing in 2005. See the Revenge Part I thread for some fiction from it. The end results were very interesting with a few people fighting for E and Ptc. I know someone worked to get Cloak and Gt which was an interesting combination. (Using K rules.)

Technology Bidding:
Jeffrey Kessler
Copyright 2005

Each player gets 120 points and bids in a sealed auction for technology. The chart in section 3 assumes EL 8 but you can set it to any EL level. You want to set the amount of points to be close to the total number of trees and branches times 4.

1. Each players bid on each branch and Tree (unless you don't want
the tree/branch, you can open it afterward)

2. For each branch that has a bid higher than 10 points, the highest bidder pays as many points as the second place bidder. If the branch has items at the high SL, the winning player also pays 1/2 the difference between highest bid and the second highest bid. There are minimums though, see item 3. If all the highest bids are 10 then they all get the SL but no items.

3. If you don't win, compare your bid to the table below:
SL 11 - Winning bid (have to have at least 10 points)
SL 10 - 80% of winning bid (have to have at least 8 points)
SL 9 - 60% of winning bid (have to have at least 6 points)
SL8 - 40% of winning bid (have to have at least 4 points)
SL7 - 20% of winning bid (have to have at least 3 points)
SL6 - 10% of winning bid (have to have at least 2 point)
SL5 - if you didn't bid at all. (have to have at least 1 point)

4. Only the highest winning bid gets access all tech available at the highest SL, other players get tech items next level down. A player that bid 10 or more points can get the highest SL (11 in this table) but don't get items at that SL.

For players that bid less than 10, the following table determines what items they can start with:

SL7 and below (get tech and SL automatically with bid)
SL10 to SL8 (1 extra spent point for all tech items for their SL level)
SL11 (winning bid only gets tech items at SL; 50% of difference
between 1st and 2nd bid)

K section rules allow for the lowering of tech levels, these racial modifications will be applied AFTER the tech auction. Only the race that has the highest bid will have access to SL11 tech items or higher at the start of the game regardless of final racial SL abilities in a given tree or branch.

5. After the auction is concluded, trees and branches not bid for may
be opened by spending 1 pt. A player may then add SL to that
tree/branch for the points established for that tree/branch by players that bid.

6. You have to take the SL you bid for, you can't lower your bid to
lower the effective tech of the other losing players
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Tech Auction

Postby Cralis on Sun 26 Jul 2009 22:10

Does normal R&D proceed at this point?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby PracticalM on Mon 27 Jul 2009 07:56

Yes normal tech begins after each SL for each branch has been determined.

The system worked out pretty well. You could just allow players to pay points but I used a bidding system to force some diversity into player empires.

It also allowed us to try out technologies that we might not normally would have. I like the DFS system when playing a game with low income. Being able to keep a high strategic speed was pretty valuable.

One of the biggest issues with starting tech higher is that empires won't have much income compared to ship costs unless you give them a lot of starting systems and PU. Or give them more starting income to build mothballed ships. I felt it was a feature not a bug but it did make NPRs much more dangerous (or beneficial if you allied with them).
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Mon 27 Jul 2009 10:06

Admittedly I have only skimmed the proposed rules, but have you determined point values for various ELs or just for EL8 for that game?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby PracticalM on Mon 27 Jul 2009 10:23

My feeling is that you probably can set the base EL to any level you want. You would have to change the number of points available to be equal to 4x the number of trees and branches. Twigs could get a little funny. Originally we just allowed any twigs at the SL that was determined or below. Probably treating them like tech items would be better.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Mon 27 Jul 2009 16:00

I just thought of something: do you require extra points for critical projects? I mean, you do have to succeed twice to finish researching them.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby PracticalM on Mon 27 Jul 2009 16:09

We didn't do that. Because the extra success just doesn't add that much extra time in the scale of things.

Probably should do something for hazardous though.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Return to Ultra Starfire