General 'thoughts on some things' thread.

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Seperate threads, or all together?

Just lump them all together! Get on with it already!
No votes
Do them separately, so I can more easily follow along.
100%

Total votes : 6

General 'thoughts on some things' thread.

Postby voidstalker[woe] on Mon 28 Oct 2019 19:33

Hello everyone, I've got a few more thoughts I'd like to share, and as these don't apply to any particular product in the franchise, I guess they belong here.

Ok, so I'm looking to get some discussions going on the following things, and would like to know if they should be all lumped together here, or should they get seperated into single, seperate threads?

My concerns center around these things:
1) A planet with an atmosphere as opposed to one without.
2) Size of a planet and its relation to population/wealth.
3) Size of a population and its relation to wealth and other things.
4) Maintenance and when and where it should be sufficiently important to matter in game.
5) Infrastructure and it's importance.
6) A planet with surplus population, not needed for resource extraction.
7) A Home World, and why this needs to be a special situation, as opposed to just another planet.
8) Wealth in game, what the heck is it.

Obviously, these issues are not all the same, but are related to one degree or another, and so would it be better to have one big thread, with folks making individual posts addressing one or more of these issues, and ignoring the others, on a first come, first served basis, or keep each issue to it's own thread, so the readers can confidently read and follow the discussion without fear of losing track of the points that they are interested in pursuing?
Last edited by voidstalker[woe] on Tue 31 Dec 2019 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
voidstalker[woe]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: General 'thoughts on some things' thread.

Postby Cralis on Tue 29 Oct 2019 01:09

I would recommend that you post separate topics for these these very disparate subjects. Especially since there are so many of them. Otherwise it will become unmanageable to keep track of who is talking about what!

It's perfectly OK to post a separate topic for each one. Be sure to describe exactly what you are looking for in responses, and to reference any actual rules if you need examples. Quite often the topic will hinge precisely on the actual rule(s) in question.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby voidstalker[woe] on Tue 29 Oct 2019 01:24

Cralis wrote:I would recommend that you post separate topics for these these very disparate subjects. Especially since there are so many of them. Otherwise it will become unmanageable to keep track of who is talking about what!

It's perfectly OK to post a separate topic for each one. Be sure to describe exactly what you are looking for in responses, and to reference any actual rules if you need examples. Quite often the topic will hinge precisely on the actual rule(s) in question.
Ok, sounds good.
voidstalker[woe]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby voidstalker[woe] on Wed 30 Oct 2019 18:23

I was trying to think of a simple way to work these thread titles, so that they could all be see to be related in purpose, if not in content/subject matter. Years ago, there was a TV program called "CHiPs", that centered around the adventures of Ponch and John, a pair of California Highway Patrol motorcycle police. And what, you may ask, does that have to do with content on the SDS forums in 2019?

Why, nothing, nothing at all. It is just my lead in to where I am going now...

For the series of threads I'll be making about taking a look at areas I feel deserve a look, their titles will start off with or otherwise include "Thoughts On Some Things", but abbreviated (and slightly modified) to just "TOaST". :lol:

So long as I'm able, I will keep editing links to the various threads created in this effort in the OP here, as well as a link upon a threads creation notification post, so folks can easily find what they are looking for (maybe).

First thread notification post: Planetary Atmospheres.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3626
voidstalker[woe]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby voidstalker[woe] on Fri 01 Nov 2019 12:58

A second TOaST thread has been created! This second thread is the main one, as everything is going to be based upon where this idea starts off and where it takes us is anybodies guess.

The Home World thread is where most of my initial thoughts and topics are going to come about, as I attempt to create a goto place for folks to discuss their own views on what a starting civilizations initial space programs are going to look like, using existing technologies and working their way up to tech level one.

Second thread notification post: Home Worlds
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3627
voidstalker[woe]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby voidstalker[woe] on Tue 31 Dec 2019 19:26

Edited in an 8th topic to the OP

Wealth.

In game wealth in represented in the mega credits, but what actually is it in the real world?
voidstalker[woe]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Return to General