What space combat games do you play?

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

What space combat games do you play?

Postby voidstalker[woe] on Sat 16 Nov 2019 13:02

Hi all, been feeling way under the weather lately, and kinda bummed out because of that, and as compensation for not being able to think clearly, I've taken up SC 2 again, where all I have to do is kill stuff and not worry about anything else. This got me thinking, in my dimwitted, slow-as-molasses-in-january current way, what games does everyone else that plays Starfire play?

For me, I have played the following:
Starfire = Best in Genre. Just needs a computer version...
MoO 2 = Best in Genre on the computer, with regards to tactical space combat and ability to design one's own ships.
MoO Conquer the stars = crap excuse for tactical space combat, but at least has some topography to a solar system.
Stellaris = Not even like the above, so worst for tactical space combat.

So, what games are in your house?
voidstalker[woe]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: What space combat games do you play?

Postby PracticalM on Wed 20 Nov 2019 13:58

I like the strategic game so I play Stellaris a lot. We have a group that plays every Sunday night.
I know my kids play some tactical game, but I will have to find out what it is.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby voidstalker[woe] on Wed 20 Nov 2019 14:15

PracticalM wrote:I like the strategic game so I play Stellaris a lot. We have a group that plays every Sunday night.
Nice! Good to have a gaming group that gets together regularly. How do you like Stellaris? I had many problems getting my mind around how they do things, and so no longer play. :(
voidstalker[woe]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby coldsteel on Wed 20 Nov 2019 17:38

SFB and Xwing currently.
TFN: 1 BB, 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 11 DD
RPSA: 1 BC, 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks), 2 FTx (old sculpts)
coldsteel
Captain
Captain

Postby PracticalM on Thu 21 Nov 2019 10:56

voidstalker[woe] wrote:
PracticalM wrote:I like the strategic game so I play Stellaris a lot. We have a group that plays every Sunday night.
Nice! Good to have a gaming group that gets together regularly. How do you like Stellaris? I had many problems getting my mind around how they do things, and so no longer play. :(

I enjoy it. There are issues around performance but playing multiplayer with 10-15 people (a few times we got to 20) is a lot of fun. Balance issues and start position imbalance means you are not going to be wagering money but it's fun to design a species and then go and conquer the galaxy.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby krenshala on Thu 21 Nov 2019 20:08

coldsteel wrote:SFB and Xwing currently.

A friend of mine described the computer version of SFB "... with the computer helping, it makes the game almost human playable". :twsisted:

Myself, I've been bouncing between KSP and Stellaris (mainly Kerbal) for space games. If you must have shooting, there is the BDArmory mod to add guns and such to KSP, which includes stuff to have computer controlled craft flying around (mainly aircraft), though I haven't used it myself.

I did play about 30 minutes of StarCitizen last week, just to see how things are progressing.

I crashed.

A lot.
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 13yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby szurkey on Mon 25 Nov 2019 18:16

Stars in Shadow, of course... What MOO4 should have been...
szurkey
Captain
Captain

Postby Kumakunshu on Tue 26 Nov 2019 12:10

I still play the venerable "May Day" by the now gone GDW (Game Designers Workshop) and I've also played "Saganami Island Tactical Simulator" by Final Sword Productions.

I like these games becous of their Newtonian movement rules for the ships and missiles. ;)
Kumakunshu
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Thradin on Tue 26 Nov 2019 18:03

My oldest and I play Sword of the Stars when our schedules mesh. It has a simple strategic element and real time combat. We were playing Stellaris, but the 2.0 patch complicated the strategic aspect too much.

When the other kids want to play, we usually play Starcraft Broodwars.

I have played the new Master of Orion, but it doesn't hold my attention. It feels like a re-skin of MoO2.

Cheers,
Thradin
Thradin
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby coldsteel on Wed 27 Nov 2019 18:36

krenshala wrote:
coldsteel wrote:SFB and Xwing currently.

A friend of mine described the computer version of SFB "... with the computer helping, it makes the game almost human playable". :twsisted:

Myself, I've been bouncing between KSP and Stellaris (mainly Kerbal) for space games. If you must have shooting, there is the BDArmory mod to add guns and such to KSP, which includes stuff to have computer controlled craft flying around (mainly aircraft), though I haven't used it myself.

I did play about 30 minutes of StarCitizen last week, just to see how things are progressing.

I crashed.

A lot.

Oh, you meant computer. NVM. lol.
TFN: 1 BB, 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 11 DD
RPSA: 1 BC, 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks), 2 FTx (old sculpts)
coldsteel
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to General